Tough digital camera for extreme conditions

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by killer, May 12, 2008.

1. killer

killer G&G Newbie

I like to go ATV riding, fishing, and hunting. I've been looking for a tough digital camera up for the task.

This spring Olympus put their tough little 770sw on steroids and called it the 1030sw.

Crush proof (220 pounds)
    waterproof 33 feet
    drop proof 6'6"
    can operate in +14F degrees

I also plan on carrying it in my lunch box at work. Railroad guys are always after a good derailment caused by a fellow brother. Haaaaaaaaaa...........

Here it is and random selection of pic's it took. It is spendy though. I paid 369.00

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Actual pictures from the camera last weekend:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. CalifgirlinOk

CalifgirlinOk G&G Evangelist

That's a nice looking camera and the pics are very clear.Is it hard for a guy to handle because it is so small and slender ?

3. killer

killer G&G Newbie

My hands are large but the camera buttons are superb. The power on/off is small and recessed and the only control button I had a problem with. But I have big fat Homer Simpson fingers.

I was able to quickly manipulate for conditions such as wanting a mandatory flash, macro, self timer, and scroll through all the misc. software they have in the camera.

They make a serious underwater housing for it too (199.00) to extend depth to 130 feet scuba diving.

The zoom ain't bad either. The kayaks had already shot past me about 60 yards before I realized it. The lens is wide angle compared to the next step down model which was the 850sw (100.00 cheaper with less frills).

4. LiveToShoot

LiveToShoot Guest

Tough little camera you've got there, and the camera captured your outing nicely...very good quality. The 10 mega pixel chip, and most likely a finely ground lens, helped a lot.

It's awesome and amazing how the technology in these mini digital cameras is able to produce crispy clear pics with as-it-really-looks color resolution.

Where was your outing to? Looks like fun.

5. tlarkin

tlarkin Guest

With 10.1 megapixels it better be a clear picture. Do you find any issues being out and about on the move with just a point and shoot camera? I have considered getting a SLR one of these days but Canon Rebels seem to be entry and you are going to pay about $500 for the camera (no lens included).

6. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Picturesque

killer: Sir; outstanding! Just outstanding. Picturesque .:)
    Thanks for sharing.

7. I will say the pictures it took are very good. I have to ask though, were they photo-shopped any or are those straight from the camera to computer to here?

And does it have a stabilizer setting? I mean there's no blur in any of the pictures. And you know it's hard not to move a little and even a little tends to blur slightly. So that's why I ask if there is an image stabilizer button/setting on it or not?

8. killer the pictures have excellent detail in them. Very nice camara.

9. It is a 10 megapixel camera, they better have some flippin' detail. lmao

10. TexasT

TexasT Devil's Advocate >:) Forum Contributor Forum Contributor

Looks very nice. I guess the price is not too bad for what it's worth. You can't destroy it and it takes excellent pics.

I have been wanting a D-SLR for a while now but they're so expensive and then the lenses aren't any better. I see lenses all the time at pawn shops, but no D-SLRs.

11. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

I am going to have to look into one of those. The wife and I have been talking about getting a new digital camera. Even the fast flowing water is crispy. It also looks ideal for packing around.

12. killer

killer G&G Newbie

I don't have photoshop but I did tweak the brightness levels a tad on two of the water pictures with the basic sofware program supplied with the camera.

The camera does have an image stabilizer but I did not turn it on since the reviews said all it really does is open the lens up one stop to allow more light and the camera tends to be just a tad too bright with some shots as is.

The video is superb too I thought. Heres a couple from the camera on my YouTube account showing the river (Split Rock River -Minnesota)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1rssDw34C4&feature=related"]YouTube - Split Rock River 5-3-08 yp1v1[/ame]
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efeap8l1obc"]YouTube - Split Rock River 5-3-08 yp1v2[/ame]

13. Dan22

Dan22 G&G Evangelist

Killer,

I like those little pocket digital cameras. I have a Canon SD-900 which is also a 10MP camera. It is very similar to your Olympus, with a titanium case.

The video feature is pretty handy sometimes.

14. pistolguy

pistolguy G&G Newbie

Nice compact camera. Take's nice photo's. I have this huge Sony Cybershot that is old technology and big as a grapefruit and only 5 mp, PIA to take into the woods. Gotta get me one of those.