close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tower Flint Lock Pistol

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by confederatemule, Jan 17, 2010.

1. confederatemule

confederatemule G&G Newbie

I was given a Tower Flint Lock Pistol, for Christmas.

The markings are:
    [on the firing mechanism plate] Tower, G R [below] crown mark
    [on left side of barrel] Japan 4648

Does anyone know anything about this pistol?
    Can I shoot it? What caliber is it? Where can I get powder, bullets, patches, etc? Where can I get detailed information about loading and care?

I also have a Philidelphia Derringer that I bought at a garage sale, at least 20 years ago. It was in a styrofoam box with no paper work. I assembled it, back then, and put it in the gun cabinet. I think, maybe, it is from Dixie Gun Works. I have the same questions about this pistol, as the one above.

I would like to shoot both guns, at least once.

I know nothing about Black Powder. [To be honest, I don't know much about anything]

Thanks for any help.

Mule

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  2. andy*

andy* G&G Newbie

Hey mule, Those pistol's were imported in the 60's-70's. Most were in .69-.75 cal.
    If you are planning to shoot it I would suggest the following: Make sure it is empty.
    Run a patch or two down the bore. Use a vent pick to clean out the vent hole. Check your flint.
    On loading I think I would start with 40 grains of 1 or 2 f black powder a patch and finally a correct size ball. when loading keep clear of the muzzle.
    Prime with 4 f powder, if your lock is good and timed you can use 2f.
    Now you are loaded and ready to fire.
    Dixie Gun Works and Track of the Wolf are great places to find all of your shooting needs.
    Good luck, Andy
    P.S. Do you have a bore mic to find the correct ball size ? If not see a Gunsmith or Dixie/track of the wolf sells them.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
  3. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

I have a Tower pistol from 30 years ago. They made different calibers most are .69 caliber and can take a .65 round ball with a thick piece of wadding patch. I think about 30 grains of Black powder should be safe, but if yours is a flintlock like it should be then you will need 4FFFF priming powder for the pan...only. Use 3FFF or 2FF in the gun. They are inaccurate as hel- and have a stout recoil. It would cost you alot to fire even a few shots. 25 balls and a pound of powder at minimum. Dixie probably has the lead balls. Beg or borrow the 4F powder from some avid BP shooters. You only need a small amount at each use. You also have to know how to set up the flint so it sparks. I fired mine once or tice and relegated it a place of honor over a door.

Attached Files:

4. confederatemule

No Andy, I don't have a bore mic. I know a gunsmith, maybe he has one.

Thanks, for all of the answers.

Mule

5. confederatemule

My Tower is a flintlock. It looks just like the one in the pic's you posted. I would like to shoot it, and the derringer, at least, once. But if it is going to be expensive, I may simply look at them.

Thanks for the information and the pictures.

Mule

6. M14man

Since you just can't buy a few lead balls, you are likely to buy 25-50. It will run $10-$20 plus shipping. Black Powder is maybe $20 and if you can't find it in a store, or have someone give it to you free, it will cost $20+ for hazmat and shipping. Thus I see it costing you $40 to try a few shots if your flint is set up, and if you can get some fine flash pan powder. The derringer is simple, but you need to know the size of the bore. You will likely need 100 percussion caps $7. and a box of the proper size rb's will run $10.

7. confederatemule

So, I can figure on spending $70.00 +.

Hmmmm.

Thanks for the details, sir.

Mule

8. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

You just GOTTA shoot them once !!

9. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I always do a Blank test fire first...30-40 Grains of fffg BLACKPOWDER and a couple wads of tightly balled newspaper rammed tight against the powder. Prime the flash pan with FFFFG if you can , point it in a safe direction and fire it. It will give you a close simulation of what to expect when loaded with a round ball.

10. catsimmie

catsimmie G&G Newbie

My husband inherited the same gun (or similar, it looks identical to the picture) except it says FIE-Japan with 11562 underneath.

We took it to a gun shop for an appraisal and they had no idea, they'd never seen anything like it. They found similiar styles new for $325, but said ours was an antique and had no idea.

Anyone have an idea on the value? My brother in law just had his birthday and he's a gun collector. Is it worth giving it to him as a gift or sell it?

11. M14man

Antique...no... Made in the 1970's. I paid $50 at the time and I don't believe it is worth $100 now.

12. catsimmie

catsimmie G&G Newbie

Is there anything else you can tell me about it? They said the type of gun is used in like pirate re-enactments and stuff, but if they lied about the price, they may have lied about that?

There are pics of it at Flintlock Tower Gun | Facebook

13. M14man

It is a COPY of the type of pistol they used around the time of the American Revolutionary war. Flintlocks were used basically from 1740 to about 1840. Thus it was a common pistol type of it's era, being used by Officers, robbers,and yes; pirates. It is called a "Tower" because the originals had the Tower of London approval stamps on it. Many copies and replicas are available. From pistols like this, to pistols and rifles of the old west. The 'Japan' stamp more or less sealed it's fate as a copy. A true original would be in the $500 value range. FIE pistols were available thru EMF in California in the 1970's. Like I mentioned they were selling then for about $50.

14. catsimmie

catsimmie G&G Newbie

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I can let the others know, and let the bidding war start (apparently several people are interested)

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted