close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Tracers

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Wayne, Mar 31, 2002.

1. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

Are the Military Surplus tracers hard on the M1A bbl? I mean do they do any damage to the bbl?:confused:

2. Rock

Rock G&G Newbie

Wayne, No tracers will not damage your bbl just make sure where they go can you say FIRE! in texas just takes a spark.......

3. Wayne

Wayne G&G Newbie

Thanks Rock Always careful Wouldn't want to stop shooting to put out a fire LOL

4. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

Tracer projectiles are made of jackets the same as any other bullet. The only difference is instead of being filled with lead, they have a phosphorous composition inside. There is a plug (similar to a freeze plug in a car engine) in the base. The gas pressure upon ignition fo the round ruptures the plug, thus exposing the composition to oxygen which only effects it once it leaves the bore. In the micro-second taken for the oxygen to ignite the phosphorous the bullet is already 100 yards down range.
    Therefore the trace only starts 100 yards down range and burns out at about 900.

5. uvson

uvson G&G Newbie

hello
    tracer isn't good for barrel. If you've a chrome barrel, no problem.
    When you fire the prime cartridge, the tracer composition made a lot of dusty, when you shoot again, the dusty is crushed on the side of the barrel. Not godd if you've a heavy or match barrel.
    I'm intructor in French army, the use of tracer in sniper's rifle are not allowed (FRF2 .30 and PGM .50 )

6. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Welcome UVSON !!!!

Btw - I watched a guy at my local range - Class 3FFL holder fire a preban M16 - it had a 16" upper on it and he was using a 100 round Beta C Mag. every round in the mag was a tracer and he lit it up on the range that day -- nothing but a stream of light. THen you look at the rifle and the complete length of the barrel was glowing red - yes even under the handguard. IN this guys case he just caused the replacement of a barrel there was no way to say that barrel wasn't damaged that is why even in belt guns they rotate the frequency to every 4th or 5th round.

7. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

Believe what you may but tracer rounds do no more to a barrel than do ordinary bullets. That gun would have gotten cherry red if he had been using regular ammo firing that many that fast. Try it and see. The primers are the same the powder is the same and the jacket of the bullet is the same as regular ball ammo. Nothing different inside the barrel. If you read the Military's Manual on ammunitiion specifications you will see this.

8. uvson

uvson G&G Newbie

yes all are the same, but hot is most important with phosphorus. the problem the phosphorus'dusty, not good for the barrel's steel!
    Or try to find the same bullets than german 7.92 100/600 tracer!
    they "trace" after 100 meters to 600 meters to no damage the eyes of shooters (one tracer, four heavy bullets with MG42, 1200 rd/min, there is a light ray very bad to see at night, and for camouflage too!)

9. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

As I said earlier uvser, the phosphorous never comes in contact with the barrel, it doesnt get the exposure to air until it leaves the bore and the ignites 100 yards downrange

10. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

As I said earlier uvson, the phosphorous never comes in contact with the barrel, it doesnt get the exposure to air until it leaves the bore and then ignites 100 yards downrange, therefore cannot harm metal. Oh and by the way, AllenT, I dont hold one frenchman responsible for the actions of his govornment, even though I am very dissappointed and dislike their decision with this war.

11. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

In my example earlier the I watched the guy closely and those tracers were hot from the second they left the barrel -- what I have been told by a bullet supplier is that the red tips are lit the second they are fired - the guys shooting that day was using red tips

12. uvson

uvson G&G Newbie

for tracer, not easy problem!

for the silly man: it's a shame, I believe all American were good personn. help us instaed of post stupid word: I'm not responsible to the politicman (who d'on't want allow weapon in France!)