Trade it in?

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by Wrencher, Sep 17, 2010.

1. Wrencher

Wrencher G&G Addict

So, this sort of question has been rehashed here a million times, but....

There is a gun show this weekend.

I love my XD, but FOR ME, it is a pain in the *** to carry it comfortably. it is thick, and it is heavy.

Are there any similarly powered handguns that are easier to carry?

There's so many options I'd rather have you guys give me a few answers I can research rather than spend an entire day trying to search the net for other options...

Ryan

2. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

What size XD fo you have? They do make a sub compact one.

Or perhaps look into the Smith and Wesson M&P subcompacts. way better ergos than a glock or an XD.

3. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

my thought is to visit all the gunshops and gunshows in your area and handle everyone, till you find the one that "MIGHT" work. kinda hard to find the right one that fits the need as no one offers a carry it before you buy it option.

do you know any LEO's, i think the input from a detective would be invaluble.

4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

That is the very reason to own multiple CC guns.When you carry any one I have ever carried in any form of carry,sooner or later you find one item that irritates you.So,what you do is have multiple firearms and carry systems so when one gets to irritating you,just change firearm/system until that bugs you.Then change again.My desperation system is a 2shot derringer in my hip pocket.That one doesn't bother unless I fall on my A**. (now fellas,I am trying to be humorous,please let me.)

5. Wrencher

Wrencher G&G Addict

It's an XD 40 sub compact. for a compact gun...it sure is a heavy MF. and being a double stack mag it's somewhat wide. I LIKE the gun itself...i've shot 6-7hundred rounds through it and I shoot it just fine... i've also carried it some... It's just so damned bulky.

I think that the perfect picture for me, would be a single stack 40 cal, skinnier than an XD, with a polymer frame, that weighs less. I don't know whether or not that exists. 26oz unloaded is heavy for me. (that's what my XD weighs with the mag, unloaded, I presume.)

6. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Pretty much the same problem I had with my glock 19, like the gun ok but it was just to bulky, tried the smaller glocks too, better but the double stack magazines are a little wide. ended up carrying a Taurus PT 709 slim. Just about right for carrying but I'm waiting for them to make some night sights.

7. Wrencher

Wrencher G&G Addict

I like the PT140.

Might bring my XD to the show with me just in case.

8. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Our detectives carry Sig P239s

9. john2393

john2393 G&G Newbie

FNPs are nice and light. The FN five seven fully loaded with 20 rds is lighter than an M&P. Or an XD. (BUT its a five-seven and not a .40) oh and its ugly. It looks like a Glock and a Browning High power had a retarded baby, but they're really light.
    I'm not sure if they're that much thinner tho.

Glock makes a single stack .45 I believe. Maybe a .40 too? I don't know. I don't do plastic guns. (I prefer a gun you can beat someone to death with if you run out of rounds, but I'm a sick puppy) But you might check out Glocks website. I think Bersa does too. No Kel Tek maybe. I forget. Google both of them they may have what u r lookin for.
    Good luck tho

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  10. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

That's what I was going to suggest! Re-edit your post so I can say it first ;) Ok, not the part about the detectives, but I was going to throw out the 239. I was considering one, which is a single stack .40. But, when I held one in a shop, it really felt top heavy with the big heavy slide. The grip was a bit on the narrow side for me, but it would be easier to determine if it would be something I'd like if I had a chance to shoot it.

Don't know your thoughts on any 9mm for CC or OC, but I carry my CZ82. Excellent double action pistol in 9mm Makarov. It's a 9mm, but it is compact and easy to conceal. It's not as small as a Walther PPK, so you can hold it in your hand comfortably and shoot it. Easy to disassemble, and clean with the polygonal rifling.

11. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Evangelist

I'll trade you my S&W 422 and a 91/30 for it! The 422 is a single stack, really thin, and super light!

12. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I don't normally advocate getting rid of a firearm but if you can't afford to buy another one to add to your collection and trading is the only way you can get something you like, then by all means go for it.
    I have tried to carry several different pistols to find the right one. Sadly I am still in search of that pistol. I started out with a Glock 23 as my primary pistol and learned that it was way to bulky to carry. Most double stack pistols are wide as you have found out on with your XD. Not only are they wide but they can be heavy with all the ammo and the weight of the slide.
    There are some things you have to ask yourself about what is important to you in your carry gun. You have already identified that you are looking for something not as wide or as large as your XD. How are you built? If you are large framed then one pistol might fit you better than another. Not all pistols fit every build type. My friend is quite tall and good sized and he is able to conceal a full sized 1911 with no problems. If I were to try that you would see the pistol in a heartbeat. You need to ask how you intend to carry this pistol on a daily basis. With the wrong holster even the smallest pistol can be uncomfortable to carry. What caliber are you comfortable with as your minimum? Many people say they won't have anything smaller than say a .40S&W so they are limited to certain models of handguns. Is this pistol going to perform multiple duties such as personal defense and home defense or do you have another weapon for the home?
    With all that said I would try going to a gun store that has many different models and handle them. Try to find a range that has rentals that are similar to what you are looking for. If you know people that carry ask them what they carry and how they carry it.
    As for types of pistols to look into a few come to mind. The Keltec PF9 or their .380, the Ruger LCP, Walther PPS, PPK, Taurus PT 709, Sig makes a new .380 that looks to be a quality pistol, Kimber Ultra CDPII. The list can go on and on.

13. mitchr

mitchr G&G Evangelist

Trying to help someone else decide what carry weapon is right for them is like trying to help them to decide on what shoes to wear. Darned difficult. Everyone here has good suggestions, but the OP is the only one that can decide what feels best. I have several size pistols in my carry rotation from a Kel-Tec PF9 that weighs in at less than 20 oz when loaded, to an all stainless 1911 that weighs 44 oz when loaded. The difference is the type holster I use & in all cases, a good stiff belt. The 1911 will sit in the same holster I use for the Kel-Tec, but the holster is too narrow, where it attaches to the belt, & concentrates the weight in a very limited spot on my belt. I use a pancake type holster for my 1911 which spreads the weight out over a wider area, making the weight much less noticible.

The belt I wear, in either case, is stiff enough that it does not allow the weapon to cant outward, away from my body with the muzzle digging into my hip/side. Dressing for what you carry can be easier than finding that 'perfect' carry weapon.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  14. Darkfront

Darkfront G&G Evangelist

Walther PPS. Single stack, available in .40 S&W, polymer framed.

Just remember that every feature you pick has a tradeoff. Thinner, lighter with no compromise in caliber will give you a snappier weapon..

15. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Ok, I'm going off my normal base...

Get a SIG 250.

It's the best new pistol that's been made in the last 30 years.

It gives you multiple caliber & size options.

Look it up. If you aren't impressed, you need to seek psychiatric assistance.

16. Wrencher

Wrencher G&G Addict

But think about the extra mags I'd have to carry around so I'd have enough firepower to actually take a BG down?! HAHAHAHA

Actually those are both guns I'd like to have in my arsenal, but in addition to what i already have...

Guys- you're all giving me good options here. Just not sure what to do. Like I've said...i LIKE my XD...and as long as I'm carrying with shorts I can do it basically no problem. I like wearing jeans though and it is a biatch to carry strong side groin IWB that way which is usually my preferred spot.

I have been considering buying a Crossbreed Supertuck SuperTuck Deluxe

and trying that...but I don't have 70 bucks to blow right now.

*big sigh*

too bad I'm not rich enough to go buy a Kimber Ultra Carry II. lol..

17. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Enthusiast

I took my Kimber Pro Carry TLE II to the range today, and man was I absolutely pleased with it. I was shooting some 10 yd groups with 4 or 5 of the 7 touching, or nearly touching. I was very pleased. It will continue to be my favorite carry gun for sure. My CZ 82 is also one I often carry.

18. Darkfront

Darkfront G&G Evangelist

You will LOVE a Supertuck. The hybrid leather/kydex holsters are incredible. I carry a full sized Kimber Custom II with a Comp-Tac/Minotaur Spartan. Same concept, and it's the only thing that allows me to carry my 1911 comfortably.

However, for an appendix or crossdraw carry in the front IWB position, you're right, the XD/Glock type frames are a bit thick. Most people carry pocket .380s or a slimline 9mm there. Knowing how you carry, you'll definitely want to check out a Walther PPS.

19. Wrencher

Wrencher G&G Addict

Ah yes, very nice. Me likey Walther PPS. That would be a good "second" gun for me.

I've not heard any bad reviews on the supertucks, and there's a vendor here in town. sometime soon, I hope.....

20. I carry a PT140 Pro alot and it is very comfortable and not heavy at all .(at least not to me )