Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s been a while since I’ve posted but a recent addition to the family in the form of an 11 week old black Lab has me scheming.

She’s young, but I’d like to start researching some tracking classes – I’d love to be able to bring her on a hunt for tracking wounded deer.

It doesn’t seem like a very popular subject on Amazon, and Google’s provided me with a couple articles.

Does anyone have any recommendations of books and/or DVD’s on the subject? Or stories/information on how you trained your pups?

Thanks,
m

·
Registered
997 Posts
I've heard of quite a few guys giving up the track just a hundred yards short of where the deer lay, only to find it next morning spoiled.

If you have a couple of venison steaks left from last year grind them up and make test run trails for pup.

Two months from now is going to be your best time for field training. Must be a local area by you of State, County or Federal land everyone deer hunts in. Wait down at the parking area quizzing guys if they wounded one, I suppose most will deny it suspcious your with law enforcement, but if someone says, "Yaa we wounded one up in Big Buck Gulch." have them pin point on a map you conviently brought with and head out with pup in tow. You'll have to dress him up in blaze orange no doubt.

I know it's a wild suggestion but it's all I've got. What about dog training techniques for chasing bear, hogs, etcetera? Must be able to transfer some the training technique using deer blood.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sooo your allowed to do this down there? its illegal in alberta.
IN VT you're allowed to use a dog for tracking a wounded animal.

Killer, thanks for the info. I've found a couple classes in the area that should help, too, but I like your idea of practicing at the parking lot.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts