close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Training Rifles

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by SPOCAHP ANAR, May 21, 2002.

1. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

What do any of you know about those 22lr Training rifles. Romanian etc... Are they based on the mauser design? Going to get one for my boy (his first)

2. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I have a H&R 165 Leatherneck training rifle that was used by the jarheads in WW2. Is that the kind you mean? It is a semi auto.

3. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Training rifles are used for showing a recruit,who may have never shot a gun,what guns are. Most resemble military guns,so they get familiar with them without shooting a full size rifle cartridge and scaring the bejesus out of them,gives them some time to master technique,(sight picture,trigger pull,etc.) and learn the basics.

4. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Romanian

It is a Bolt action Romanian 22 lr with magazine. Semi auto is too dangerous to let a 6 yo shoot. Plus he will like going through the motions of the bolt.

5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I've got the Romanian M69 training rifle, and it's a good little shooter. The machining is crude, as one would expect from an Eastern Bloc military weapon, but this doesn't affect it's performance. The action is not a Mauser, the bolt locks on the handle like most commercial .22's. The magazine may have feeding problems on these rifles, which is usually fixed by getting a new magazine. Fitting a scope can be problematic, too. The rib on top of the action is normally not grooved, so a 3/8" dove-tail ring will not grip securely. I fixed this by using the Dremel tool to undercut the rib on each side with a shallow groove, then the Tasco .22 rings fit perfectly. With a Simmons 3-9X32 scope, it shoots as well as any commercial .22 rifle, for half the price. I also like the full-size stock, that is similar to that of a Mauser in over-all form. It may be too thick-wristed for a youngster.
    All in all, it's a very good rifle for the money.

6. Calvin

Calvin G&G Newbie

I agree with Big Dog. They are a really good gun for the money. I went through 3 mags before I found one that worked, but now it works great, and my step-son loves to shoot it.

7. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

hmmm....the only training rifle i ever saw was the M-14:D

8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Here's a very neat training rifle that I'm keeping a lookout for. It's the M56 Yugoslav .22 made by the same factory that made my M48A Mauser. I don't want to go thru the hassle of ordering from Canada yet, but I'm sure it will show up at our distributors and gunshows soon.

http://www.marstar.ca/Y-M-56.htm