Trap door rifle have you ever shot one or own one?

Discussion in 'Antique Firearms' started by Kaye adams, Jul 31, 2020 at 12:22 PM.

1. Kaye adams

Kaye adams G&G Regular

Hi I have this rifle I'm thinking it's a trap door? I'm thinking of shooting it how bad is the kick? It looks real clean .and seems in working condition? Could it be a flint lock?

Attached Files:

neophyte, blaster and graybeard like this.
  2. Dutch

Dutch G&G Evangelist

CO
    Wow. You have an 1873 Springfield trapdoor. Very nice, very collectible. I’d be interested in talking to you more if you decide to come out of it.

Yes, you can shoot that. But not with modern ammunition. Under no circumstances would I recommend putting a modern .45-70 government cartridge in that rifle. Low loads, lead bullets (no jackets) only. You may be able to buy cartridges designed for it, but most hand load for them. Actually most people don’t shoot them, but those that do hand load for them.

Post some more pictures so we can better see the overall condition. What’s the bore and muzzle look like?

edit to add - It’s a centerfire cartridge rifle. They are well documented, but there’s too much information to get into while typing on a mobile device. Pictures please. I love the old springfields.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 12:45 PM
    chesterwin, neophyte, jwrauch and 2 others like this.

3. Mowgli T.

Mowgli T. G&G Evangelist

Tennessee
    You have a trapdoor that is a cartridge gun. I have shot both 50-70 and 45-70. I was shooting most recently smokeless loads with lead bullets. Personally, I did not find a recoil problem with the loads I was shooting. Looks like you got a good specimen if the rest of the gun is like the pictures.

I owned the fact these rifles are over a hundred and thirty years old. It would be a good thing to have somebody knowledgeable on these guns to check yours out. No hot loads ever in these guns. Also, do not sand on or use cold blue on the gun. Doing so will reduce the historical and money value.

neophyte, jwrauch and Dutch like this.
  4. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I've shot several. I would highly recommend getting the light loads from PCI for them, though.

As much as I like the trap door, the rolling block is still my favorite to shoot of the era.

FortyXDM, neophyte, jwrauch and 2 others like this.
  5. I had an Allin Conversion in .50-70, it was a great shooter using paper patched bullets and 2F blackpowder... it was sold to a gentleman who had more use for it then I at the time...I was in business and he had the right price...^^^PHD, I too like the Rolling Block as they are so much more robust and most do not have the extraction problems that some TDs do...

6. shanebrews

shanebrews G&G Evangelist

I have an 1884 pattern Trapdoor Springfield. I have shot it and the recoil is more of a long push than a sharp crack. The experts recommend only using black powder ammunition in them but modern smokeless ammunition marketed for "Cowboy Action Shooting" is safe in one that has any business being fired in the first place.

FortyXDM, neophyte, jwrauch and 3 others like this.
  7. graybeard

graybeard G&G Enthusiast

Virginia
    I have shot my trap door several times. I use the cowboy loads others have mentioned, not the hunting rounds meant for today's rifles.

8. jwrauch

jwrauch G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I've owned and shot a couple over the years. Used to handload for them . I agree with the comments on rolling blocks also. Wish I still had my old collection of BP cartridge rifles but alas they were casualties of being disabled !!

neophyte and Dutch like this.
  9. FortyXDM

FortyXDM G&G Evangelist Staff Member

Shot a trap door when I was about 16. Don't remember the loads and cousins couldn't remember the last time we talked about it. I do remember someone had cut the stock down to either fit a very short person, or a yute...(youth). We all remember that it kicked like a mule.
    The trap door you have looks like it has been maintained. But as was mentioned above, there are three iterations for a 45 - 70. There is ammo for very old guns, ammo of intermediate (actually fairly stout) for modern lever guns, and HOT for only rolling blocks made by Browning and an even stronger Ruger single shot. As stated, if you or anyone was going to shoot it, only use the ammo designed for that gun. :)

jwrauch and K75RT like this.
  10. Huh? What?

Huh? What? G&G Evangelist

Central AZ
    My first deer hunt - age 12 or so - was with an 1873 Springfield. I think the gun was longer than I was tall. My dad and I cast the bullets and loaded the cartridges with black powder loads.

jwrauch, K75RT, Dutch and 1 other person like this.
  11. rando

rando G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maryland
    My Trapdoors dont get shot. They are hanging on the wall.