Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I used to hunt with an old-timer who'd run me ragged tramping over the hills in Eastern Kentucky. He'd have 50 or 60 squirrels in his freezer at any given time. I'm not a big fan of fried but I do enjoy a bowl of Brunswick stew. My little girl used to love Brunswick stew so much she asked for it for her birthday one year. Now she never asks for it. I also once went to a church picnic where squirrel was on the menu. I can't bring myself to eat the brains. The guy sitting next to me noticed I had stopped eating and he asked me if I was going to finish! He told me the brains were the best part and proceeded to crack the skull of the little guy open. I told him: you can have mine and he did.
I can understand not wanting squirrel brains!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I miss hunting Fox squirrels in the woods and rolling hills of central Louisiana where I was born and grew up. Started out with a .410 shotgun and changed to a .22 rifle as I got older, it was a challenge but loads of fun!
IF you really want to try a challenge try it with a newer pellet rifle now that is a challenge , I do it and let me tell you you have to really get your stalking skills sharp to get close enough for an ethical shot and we all know them buggers are sharp with their senses .

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Nice lookin Savage and scope John. Six years back I bought the Ruger American in 22 magnum with the 18 inch barrel. Slapped a Vortex 2x7 32 on it. makes for a great woods varmint gun. Liked the satin finish of black oxide on barrel and receiver. Handy gun for sure.
Thanks and yeah on handy, mouser9.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts