Gun and Game Forum banner

Trigger lock key...lost

Hi-Point 
9K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  deadzero 
#1 ·
Well, I went out and found a .45 acp Hi Point today, then took it to the range. I had the trigger lock that comes with it on before I got there. Took it off to fire 50 rnds. Down range, then put the lock back on. Now I can't find the key to take it off again. Somebody please tell me I'm not entirely screwed here.

#3 ·
Nope, you're not entirely screwed but close. Honestly, you will be able to get it off but you will have to work at it. Jay's post is good. A friend did the same thing, but he's a machinist and had access to equipment to do the job. I suspect you will never put yourself in that situation again once you remove the trigger lock. There is one hitch...I hope you didn't misplace your screwdrivers. (just kidding).

#6 ·
Go to your local police department. Most of them will hand out free locks as part of Project Child Safe. Find the closest one to you on projectchildsafe.org.

You should never have to buy a trigger lock if you need one.

#7 ·
Happytrgrfingr,

If you'd like to send me your address via PM I'll be glad to send you a new lock with TWO keys. :usa2:

#9 · (Edited)
Good thing you didn't have to defend yourself.

If I needed to lock one up, I'd look into a biometric lock box instead.

P.S. I have drilled out the lock tumblers before to get one off (trigger lock type) after drilling I just used a dental pick to pop all the tumblers out then a twist in the hole drilled with a screwdriver released the lock.
I didn't try prying it apart like the link said, but that should also work since it's just a rather loose fitting ratchet that keeps it together. you just take a chance on maring the trigger guard that way though.

cable locks I've never tried, but in a case like that I'd try attacking the cable one strand at a time first. drilling out the tumblers in one of those could be a bit more difficult... maybe...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.