close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

TRIVIA: The Most accurate Rifle?????

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by MangesMade, Mar 25, 2002.

1. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

Why are Single Shot Rifles more accurate?????

2. Shaun

Shaun G&G Newbie

No moving parts such as a bolt -- I am referencing the single shot trapdoors. -- thats my guess

3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    i agree less moving parts- less flex in the reciever, every extra component you add, adds extra variables that can affect accuracy. sometimes less is better.

4. wes

wes G&G Newbie

Cause it takes so long to re-load you won't get a second shot.

5. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

plus quicker lock time;)

6. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

By single loading the cartridges, you don't get any deformed bullits. As you would get when fed from a magazine etc. Oil Well,
    every little bit counts.

7. I'd have to agree with Wes. When you have only one shot, it darn well better count. Personally I rated very high as a marksman but that was a few years back so I won't count myself. However, more than once I saw a trigger happy guy un-load his mag. only to have his more experienced, calmer, partner drop the game with one shot.

8. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

That's what I try to tell the newer shooters, to slow down and take their time. Semi-autos tend to be fired too quickly. When I starting shooting bolt-actions, my accuracy improved markedly. Not so much due to the "more accurate" action, but I was more careful. Now I got my first non-bolt-action single-shot, and I pay even more attention to shot placement, trigger control, etc.
    One youngster was blazing away one morning, and not doing good. He asked me how to improve his shooting. I told him to slow down and try aiming. He was not amused, and didn't take the advice.

9. Shaun

Shaun G&G Newbie

It amazing that the people learning on SA's don't listen to you and then they wonder why they can't hit anything. I remember once while I was out working with the bolt gun many years ago and two young guys showed up with an AR they borrowed so they could get ready for a qualification for their enlistment. Well after about 200 rounds and their being totally fustrated because they couldn't hit the target at 25 yards I walked over and asked to take a few shots and the rifle was dead on then I asked them to try something " Slow down and take one shot and breath but I wanted them to count to two between every shot and think of each shot as the only one they would ever get" It worked they left very happy at the end of the day.

10. MangesMade

MangesMade G&G Newbie

A shooter taking all the right moves to shoot accurate, only makes the shooter more accurate...
    Not nicking the Bullet when chambering a cartridge makes the Bullet more accurate. Giving two rifles are exactly the same. accuracy wise, the Single shot will have better bullets than a mechanical fed rifle. Thereby making the single shot more accurate.