Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm ever so hesitantly warming up to the idea of offset iron sites. I've heard of 30deg sites and heard the term 1:00 sites (which would mean the same thing), but all I'm seeing are 45s. Can anyone point me to the real thing? Or do I have to start with a 30deg offset picatinny rail?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I use what are termed 45 degree offset sights, never really checked to see as to what angle they might actually be. I use the non-popup ones, never found any of those that didn't have slop in them. The ones I get off ebay have elevation adjustment in the rear sight as well as up front, I've never had to use it but I like that it's available. Stick with the aluminum ones though.

Reactions: neophyte

·
Registered
9,704 Posts
it took me a while but I finally decided to try a set of offset irons on a scoped AR. (not sure of the degree) after using them a little, I put another set on my night vision equipped AR too. I like the fold down ones because the fixed ones make the rifle "wider". my iron sights are for back up/close range so a little "slop" doesn't bother me and is still functional.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Digging this up again, anyone set their scope up at 1:00 instead of their irons? Logic being that in a tight spot, 45deg or 30deg sights could be hard to line up, but for a scoped shot, one might have the time.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Digging this up again, anyone set their scope up at 1:00 instead of their irons? Logic being that in a tight spot, 45deg or 30deg sights could be hard to line up, but for a scoped shot, one might have the time.
It would seem that a small red dot might be the best system in that scenario.

·
Registered
6,856 Posts
I'd not recommend it for a scope. Maybe because I'm old school (to a certain point) when it comes to rifle shooting and there's too much in the way of accidentally canting the rifle off target. Particularly under the stress of combat.
I know I'm probably preaching to the choir but reprogramming muscle memory for a different hold for a precise shot might be problematic.
The older I get the less I like to do things to confuse my central nervous system when it's under stress.

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
I have 45 degree offset mounts for our trijicon RMRs on a "will buy if there's money at the end of the fiscal" list right now.
I've never tried it, but a few guys in our shop are fans.

·
Super Moderator
16,972 Posts
Ive run several versions off offset sights. I have not done Irons but I have done micro red dots like a Trijicon RMR or an Aimpoint Micro T1.

In past set ups Ive done a
3x Trijicon ACOG with Offset Aimpoint T1,
4X Trijicon ACOG with Offset Trijicon RMR
Trijicon 1-6x LVPO with Offset Trijicon RMR

The last two setups were the ones I used the most.

Always put the magnified optic at the traditional 12 o clock with the 1x red dot or irons (if i went that way but have not) at the offset position.

I found the offset combo more helpful on setups where u had fixed power magnification optics like with the ACOGs. I know you can be really fast up close with the fixed lower power ACOGs but I was still faster with the offset 1x red dot.

On the Low variable power optics like the 1-6x if you have good glass the 1x is very close to 1x vs a 1.1x-1.2x on cheaper options and the eye box is still good. so when you are backed off with a throw lever to 1x its still extremely fast more akin to a red dot. So I have since taken off the offset red dots and I have my optic in a solid QD throw lever mount with standard traditional folding back up iron sights in the 12 o clock position if I really needed to use them.

What is nice with the LVPO and an offset red dot is that even if you are max power like 6X or 8X or whatever you are using, you can use the canted sights for up close (50 yards and in) and be very fast (if you are just not shooting the LVPO dialed back to 1x already)

Or, if you are zoomed in at max power on the LVPO and you want to quickly aim in on your target farther down range (when you are running at max magnification your field of view is obviously smaller) you can snap point with the red dot, find your target (or very close too it) at 1x and then just rotate and shift the rifle back to a standard shooting position and rotate your magnified optic back into place and there you are with target in view.... vs trying to initially find and acquire and hunt around for your target through the magnified view/reduced field of view optic.

I don't recommend putting a magnified optic at the offset position and i don't even know of any mounts that would let you do this because you will start to have parallax induced variances and discrepancies that will mess with your zero at farther distances as its harder to get a consistent angle and cheekweld in that position for precision shooting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts