close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

True or false?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by BattleRifleG3, Jun 3, 2002.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 G&G Evangelist

A guy at a gun shop said a Bushnell Trophy scope is sufficient for a 300 Remington Ultra Magnum. That price is way better than the Leupolds everyone else was pointing to, but is he on crack? He also said that they were guaranteed to work and would be replaced if they didn't.

Also, I saw a variety of Russian scopes in Centerfire's catalog, saying they're "recoil proof" One was $99, another with greater magnification and a lighted reticle was $200. Good, bad, ugly? The add said "Bring on the recoil! Made for high powered rifles."

2. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    Battlerifle,
    It's true. The Trophy line is underrated, and represent a good value for the money. A RUM.300 isn't going to hurt it anymore than it would most of the much more expensive brands. Everything is there except a grossly inflated price tag.

Dave375

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Bushnell is a very good scope, just because It doesn't cost as much as a Leopold don't make It junk!

4. Where Leupolds excel is in the margins. By that I mean that if you look around the edges of the sight picture, there will be little distortion. They also do a great job at light transmission. So much so that you get about 10 more minutes of hunting time.

That being said, for the same price of a Leupold, you can get an IOR Valdada with a BDC and the optics are even better.

Of course, it's hard to beat the Leupold warranty. It lasts the lifetime of the scope regardless of owner.

5. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    FALPhil,
    The Leupold's were beaten hands down across the board in a test against the Weaver Grand Slam and several others. The Weaver GS costs $100 to $150 less across the line than the Leupold. Leupold is a good scope but not as good as their grossly inflated prices would lead you to believe. I love it when the leupold lovers jump in and say how good the warrenty is because that means a lot of them have been returned to the factory. I would prefer not to know about the factory service because I never had to use it.

Dave375

6. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

The Albar scopes are real good. Thr other "Russian" scope with the lighted reticle is called something like Pinod. Both are made in Belarus (white Russia).

7. I have heard tell that "its a rich man that can afford a cheap scope" I think they where refeing to wasteing ammo.
    I have allot of scopes, most are bushnell. I have never had any problems with them yet.
    A 300 has allot of recoil, I have a 338-06 and a 300 win mag with bushnells on them thay both are holding up fine. would I put a bushnell on my weatherby or browning? NO. but thats not because they wouldn't handle it.

8. squirrelsniper

squirrelsniper G&G Newbie

While their are some cheaper scopes that will hold up, if you have the money, I would recommend that you buy a high quality scope and not have to worry about it. I have ruined two cheap scopes on my 700LSS in 300RUM while I should've went ahead and bought a Leupold in the first place. First scope ruined was a Simmons Pro-Hunter 4-12x40 AO, lasted 2 shots, blew a seal and lost all nitrogen. Could have been a factory defect but I replaced it with a Tasco Mag IV 4-16x40 AO. It worked fine for about 40 rounds and then I noticed vertical stringing in my groups one day, the elevation adjustment was backing out a couple clicks on every shot. I have had good luck using both these models of scopes on rifles with less recoil, but the 300RUM was just too much for them. Hindsight is 20/20, but I should have bought a better scope in the first place and saved myself the time, money, and aggrevation of changing scopes and rezeroing. If you want to save some money, I'd look at the cheaper models from Leupold and Burris; their cheaper scopes are better than most companies' top of the line models.

9. RECOIL IS A STRANGE THING AS TO SCOPES. MY OPTIMA 2000 WILL GO TO SLEEP AFTER 5 OR 6 ROUNDS NOT TO AWAKE FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS. THE OPTIMA 2000 IS MOUNTED ON MY MI CARBINE 50AE CONVERSION. BUT MY MI 45 WIN MAG CONVERSION WITH A BUSHNELL HOLOSCOPE IS NO PROBLEM OTHER THAN AFTER ABOUT 20 ROUNDS MY SHOULDER DOES NOT WANT ANY MORE POUNDING.
    DANA

10. BattleRifleG3

Ok, so if I put a Bushnell Trophy on a 300 RUM, and it gives me problems, is it under warranty?
    And what about the Russians?

11. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

I would like to hear more about the .50 M1 carbine. Could you post info on it in the general forum?

12. 50 AE M1 CARBINE

BOTH MY 50AE AND 45 WIN MAG M1 CARBINES WERE CONVERTED BY LEMAG 201 MAIN STREET FENTON MICHIGAN 48430 248-634 -1312 . BASICLY NEW BARRELS AND BOLT FACES. HAD FEEDING PROBLEMS WITH BOTH BUT WHEN RETUNED THEY SENT NEW MODIFIED MAGS AND THEY WORKED LIKE A DREAM. CHANGED MY ADITIONAL MAGS AND THEN THEY ALL WORKED. DO NOT KNOW WHAT ELSE TO ADD OTHER THAN THE 45 WIN MAG IS A PLEASURE TO USE UP TO ABOUT 20 ROUNDS WHEN THE RECOIL GETS TO YOU. I.E. NO WEIGHT TO THE FIREARM TO HELP ABSORB THE RECOIL. THE 50AE IS IN A AFTER MARKET STOCK WITH A RECOIL ABSORBER BUT MAKES YOU GLAD YOU ARE USING EAR PROTECTION. ANYTHING ELSE?
    DANA

13. Armorer

Armorer Guest

14. My dad's favorite caliber was the Rem. 7 mm mag. He liked the Redfield wide angle, never had a problem with it.-- 1/2 groups at 100 yards.

15. BattleRifleG3

A local shop is selling Weaver 3-9x50 scopes for $150. Should I leap on it before everyone buys them out?

16. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

H e l l yeah ya should,buy me one while yer at it and send it to me,and my check will be in the mail! lol

17. I read that Tasco was going under from another forum. Did anybody else hear this same thing?

18. Yes on the Weavers. The quality is there. Why buy a scope you might have to replace/send in for repair and suffer the down time?? So Bushnell has a good warranty; why sit and wait on the mail??

19. Sutro

Sutro G&G Newbie

I've got a number of Soviet-bloc optics - spotting scope, full-size binoculars, compact binoculars, 1" tube 4X32 riflescope, ZFK 4X25 AK siderail-mount scope. I've got so many because the market is glutted right now and the prices are very low - and the quality very high. After WWII, most of the quality European optics manufacturers found themselves in the Soviet bloc.

20. BattleRifleG3

Bought the Weaver. If I had waited any longer, their cost would have been $30 higher than the price I paid. Now all I need is that Ultra Mag for it...