Tumblers

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by Twitch2120, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 G&G Evangelist

which ones do you guys use? seems like the cheaper ones die PDQ. just curious since i need one and am tired of hand cleaning each case with a 000 steel wool

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I use a Lyman Turbo , and a Dillon Large tumbler...Many hours on both with no problems....

3. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I believe a lot of them are made by the same CO.with different names on them.They look the same inside,and mostly do on the outside. ,,,sam.

4. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i got thumler.
    it is pretty solid and heavy.
    and probably 30 years old.

5. Twitch2120

Twitch2120 G&G Evangelist

they mostly do look the same Sam. i think a lot of stuff in the firearms industry works like that. 1 place makes the same thing and puts 5 different labels on it. i know my $10 harbor freight micrometer is the same one frankford arsenal, rcbs and i believe lyman sell for $30. was just curious on which ones have been solid performers for you guys

6. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Mine looks like a pumpkin. Simple, Orange, durable. I have been using it for a while now. Seems to be OK.

7. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

I have the Frankfort Arsenal model with about 30 hours on it and it is still going strong

8. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

I use a Lyman 1200 turbo. works great. and I have several hours on it.

9. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

Mine is actually intended to be a rock tumbler. It rotates the drum on a horizontal axis, you can clean them in a wet solution if you like. I've gotten cases clean in a simple mix of dish detergent and water in a short time, but then you need to rinse them twice or more and let them dry. Some paranoid anal retentive types might not like water spots but I'm not going to put rinse agent in there!

I've had mine since around 1970 or so and it still runs fine. It's also pretty quiet. You can easily talk to someone in normal tones when it's right next to you. About all you hear from it is the brass rolling around. The brand name is Lortone.

10. deucemx22

deucemx22 G&G Newbie

RCBS 120v. Works like a champ.

11. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

The sidewinder is like mine on steroids.

12. MosinMan

MosinMan G&G Evangelist

Bought a lyman 600 pop top since I don't tumble too many cases at one time.

I bought one of the newer frankford arsenal tumblers and it fried after an hour of use. Most of the frankford arsenal stuff is now made in china and is junk.

13. wily1

wily1 G&G Addict Forum Contributor

I have the Cabelas one not too expensive and works just fine.

14. All viberator tumblers are basically identical and they seem to be made only by three companies with colors and labels as requested by the resellers. I've seen inside quite a few and they all had indentical small motors of the same design as used in bath and kitchen range hood exhaust fans.

Most tumblers seem to fail due to the oil in the bronze bearings drying and freezing the motor shaft. IF the owner will simply remove the motor and oil the bearings occasionally they keep running virtually forever. If a motor does burn up it can be replaced with the same type motor from most electrical supply houses.

Well, sometimes the power wires break off at the motor due to viberation but that's easy to correct too.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010