Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
several suppliers are offering Turkish M1893 rifles as pre 1898 antiques hence no ffl needed. i was considering one. but reading the fine print about them at Center Fire Systems, they are 8X57mm Mauser RIMMED!!!

just to let everyone know about that.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i'm gonna call CFS monday, to make sure the online catalog is correct.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well i called CFS, the gentleman on the other end, stated that the paper catalog is a misprint, and that the rifles are indeed 8X57R. so i guess unless i stumble upon a couple ammo cans of the rimmed Mauser cartridges i won't be order any. :...:

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,322 Posts
8X57R?! Never heard of such a critter!
We gotta get DANA's take on this. Is there is . . . or there ain't . . . an 8X57R rimmed Mauser cartridge? :confused:

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd like to point out that several sources put the 1893/1938 mausers as 8x57JS (8mm mauser). They are availible from www.sportsmandguide.com as "8mm Mauser"
www.surplusrifle.com calls it 8x57mm Mauser and has picture of regular 8x57 being loaded and unloaded into one. Note that the original 1893 Turkish mauser was chambered in 7.65x53mm caliber but were later rechambered to 7.92x57mm (8mm Mauser). The 1938 standard caliber was 8mm Mauser.
The fact that no one has seen surplus 8x57R ammo coming out of turkey, and only 8x57 Mauser suggest this as well. And note that Turkey used their mausers until the 1950's when they were replaced with weapons of US origin.(Hogg, 217)

And the model 1938 was just all the mauser rifles that Turkey had reworked into 8mm mauser.

EDIT: I also dug up some more info on 8x57R
http://www.recguns.com/Sources/IIID1c1.html

"There is also 8x57R (or 8x57JR, or 8x57JSR), which is a *rimmed* cartridge for use in German single-shots and drillings. These should *not* be used in rifles designed for rimless cases (like the Mausers)."

1 - 10 of 10 Posts