Gun and Game Forum banner

Turkey Chokes

2K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Palladin8 
#1 ·
I know almost nothing about this topic. Have a relative (in-law) who just acquired a Mossberg 835, and he asked me which choke he needed to put in it. You guys have any suggestions? Bonus points for experience with the suggested choke tube.

#4 ·
#7 ·
I took this pic about 30 minutes ago from my dining room. Zoom it. At about 110 yards there is a deer feeder with 17 turkeys around it, all of them are toms or jakes, a couple over 25 pounds, big for here. I started with an 870 Supermag with a Carlsons, 3.5 inch #5s.

Once you learn to call them they will easily come into 30 yards and any choke will do, even modified out to 40 yards. No need for .660 choke or any turkey choke at all. Just get good ammo and not to worry about the joke at all. Just use full choke.

I do not even hunt them anymore. Once you learn to call and stay hid it is just too easy. Turkeys are stupid but they have great eyesight and will bust you if you are moving around like a human. The first few you harvest are a hoot. Often they are covered in ticks, so clean them before you take them home.. They eat ticks and bugs love to have them around.
Sky Plant Cloud Natural landscape Tree

Reactions: neophyte and Dutch
#8 · (Edited)
Full choke or Fuller chokes. They call those turkey chokes.

Only thing you can really do is pick a turkey choke from about any of the manufactures marked turkey choke. Even among those they are different, a little. Be sure you get one marked for the Moss 835. Buy 'em at Walmart if you don't like the way it shoots take it right back and try another one.

Then you have to SHOOT at least one of the shells you are going to hunt with through it. Sit down at a bench and get a perfect aim at a target about like a baseball or smaller on the end of a 12 inch ruler. Head and neck. Aim for the base of the head like you are going to cut it off the neck. Now shoot one.

You are looking for... is the place I aimed in the center of the pattern? Does it look like it would have killed it? I like to use cabinet shims for "the neck". If I get full penetration on that, it would break a turkey neck for sure.

If you are not happy with the result, you can adjust the aim some how, move closer, try a different shell.
I shoot an ounce and a quarter, lead #4, reloads.

#11 ·
I don't shoot 'em at a turkey. I shoot 1 1/4 ounce, 2 3/4" reloads. But I like to hunt them. If I was just going to snipe one that don't have a clue, I'll just pick it out from the freezer at Walmart.

It ain't practice, it is a test. Would you hunt with a rifle and ammo you've never shot before. If you don't shoot at least one, you don't have a clue what it will do. Especially a Mossberg.

#22 ·
The 835 Utilimag has an oversized barrel. If you read on the side of the barrel you will see that and it will also say not to shoot slugs from that barrel. With that said I bought a Carlson Turkey full and extra full choke. Neither one of them would pattern worth a darn with 4 different turkey loads ranging from 2-3/4" to 3-1/2". At 40yds I would see two to three pellets in the head. When I tried it with the modified choke the shotgun came with the pattern actually tightened up.

When I was talking to my uncle about it he told me I should've called him because my cousin has a 935 which is the semi auto version and they went through the same thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.