close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Turkey Season Is Upon Us

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by austinjoe13, Apr 5, 2017.

1. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 G&G Evangelist

April 15th. So far, the forecast is thunderstorms :mad:, but I'm ready. Calls are in order, camo is here, and the bow is tuned up.

rando, neophyte, ChaZam and 1 other person like this.
  2. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Evangelist

CO
    B4E09E12-953C-4A0B-A743-442915272137-924-0000013550D41873.jpeg

April 8th out here. Bought my license today. They are $24 now, plus $10 for the "habitat stamp", the license allows for a single tom. It's far cheaper, per lb, to buy a butterball the day after thanksgiving and stick it in the freezer...

My calls are all accounted for, the camo is washed and ready to go.

I don't think I'm doing bow this season, I haven't been shooting it lately. I figure I'll just take the easy road and pull the 20 gauge out. Good luck with your hunt, I really enjoy bow hunting turkey.

rando, neophyte, ChaZam and 1 other person like this.

3. austinjoe13

My buddy and I called in three turkeys about half an hour after sunrise. One was for sure a tom, and one was a hen. The third left into the woods, so I think it was a hen. The tom held tight at 240 yards for almost an hour, but suddenly got spooked off the field. We gave him some time and followed him into the woods.

I have a crow call, and there were a lot of crows flying around. Whether it was me or a real crow, that tom would gobble. It eventually went back to the field, and we stalked the trail back out. I caught a glimpse of him, but then he was gone.

We're going to try again in the morning, and we set our blinds near where the birds came out this morning. We were in a fallen tree top this morning, tomorrow we'll be in our ghost blinds.

4. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Well good hunting to you all.

neophyte and BaserRonin like this.
  5. austinjoe13

Everything worked out this morning. I got myself a jake.

IMG_4622.JPG

6. austinjoe13

I'm one step closer to having a fan on my wall. I made some cardboard braces to keep most of the feathers in place for drying.

IMG_4625.JPG

neophyte, BaserRonin, Jaison and 2 others like this.
  7. austinjoe13

I'm starting to think this is more of a tom than a jake because of the fan. It had nubs instead of spurs, and the beard was thick but only 3" long or so. Help me veteran turkey hunters lol

Jaison and ChaZam like this.
  8. BaserRonin

CO
    Your fan looks good. I've never gotten one to dry right.

The difference between a jake and a tom is of course age. If yours is still considered a jake, he's a mature jake. You look to be in that middle ground between an obvious tom and a jake.

Nice bird!

austinjoe13 and ChaZam like this.
  9. BaserRonin

CO
  10. austinjoe13

I did not, but he was probably 20ish pounds.

neophyte, BaserRonin and ChaZam like this.
  11. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    That's awesome austinjoe. Congrats on that. The beard is usually a pretty good indicator of jake vs. tom. Yours looks like a jake to me too. I've never been partial, I'll shoot the first one that gives me a chance. Here in MO, our season started yesterday (Monday) which prevented me from getting to hunt. Don't know why they do it to me??? Hopefully will get to go this weekend, but it'll be tough because all the birds will be call shy by then. There's nothing better than having a gobbler 15 yards in front of you, sounding off, but then I've never had a bull elk blow my hat off either.

neophyte and ChaZam like this.
  12. BaserRonin

CO
    My wife and I have trouble finishing off a big tom. In the spring I try for the smallest beard I can find. Not to say I'm going to pass up a shot, just that if there is a choice...

I haven't been able to get out to hunt yet, houpefully i can do so before the season ends.

Anyway, nice bird.

neophyte, austinjoe13 and ChaZam like this.
  13. austinjoe13

My fan plaque came in the mail tonight. The beard backer is huge, so I put one of the nicer feathers in the slot under the beard.

IMG_4629.JPG