Gun and Game Forum banner
21 - 40 of 52 Posts
Jais - it's gonna be hard to kill a bird with that guy standing there taking pictures of you!?!?

...And WTH kind of scope you got on that shotty? You're not even as old as me, you're sight can't be that bad yet!
LOL

Yah, my hunting buddy likes to take pics for his Facebook group. There's only been two or three, so far. Don't want to go crazy, right? Maybe if the job falls through I can get a gig as a camo model?

That scope is a Nikon Slughunter. Got astigmatism, bro.:( I'd love to use irons, but at 40+ yards, the target blurs too much. Plus, it helps with... well, slugs during deer/coyote round ups.

Great scope, so far.:usa:

LOL

Yah, my hunting buddy likes to take pics for his Facebook group. There's only been two or three, so far. Don't want to go crazy, right? Maybe if the job falls through I can get a gig as a camo model?

That scope is a Nikon Slughunter. Got astigmatism, bro.:( I'd love to use irons, but at 40+ yards, the target blurs too much. Plus, it helps with... well, slugs during deer/coyote round ups.

Great scope, so far.:usa:
Yea, all those guys now hunting turkeys with the 410s and TSS shot say you really do not need a scope for turkey hunting. If I go to 410 for turkeys and I am thinking about putting a bayonet on the gun in case I miss. LOL

Yea, all those guys now hunting turkeys with the 410s and TSS shot say you really do not need a scope for turkey hunting. If I go to 410 for turkeys and I am thinking about putting a bayonet on the gun in case I miss. LOL
Took a 20 year hiatus from hunting due to a lack of land and the effects on my soul from a poorly planned, irresponsible shot on a groundhog.

When I took it back up a few years ago, I realized my young eyes had been a blessing.

Season opened yesterday morning but i worked until 1030 and we cant hunt after 12noon im not sure about other states. But i got out this morning...no scouting done. But boy did i pick the spot. Could hear gobbels in all directions . Had one come out about 6am about 100yrds came in about 60-70yds then went over the stone wall to challenge another tom. Within 10minutes out the corner of my eye i saw what i though was a hen until it gobbled. I watched that bird for 15minutes. Strutted all the way till he was about 75yds away then started doing some weird things then i noticed the other tom cam back over. The one that came back was on his way to me and the one i was watching charged him& started pushing him around. I clucked and purred lightly....they turned and came straight at me. I didnt even have my gun up . They came in about 30-35yds and starred right at me. 3inch winchester double #5 flopped that dominate gobbler 9inch beard about18.25lbs and oddly short spurs

Attachments

Season opened yesterday morning but i worked until 1030 and we cant hunt after 12noon im not sure about other states. But i got out this morning...no scouting done. But boy did i pick the spot. Could hear gobbels in all directions . Had one come out about 6am about 100yrds came in about 60-70yds then went over the stone wall to challenge another tom. Within 10minutes out the corner of my eye i saw what i though was a hen until it gobbled. I watched that bird for 15minutes. Strutted all the way till he was about 75yds away then started doing some weird things then i noticed the other tom cam back over. The one that came back was on his way to me and the one i was watching charged him& started pushing him around. I clucked and purred lightly....they turned and came straight at me. I didnt even have my gun up . They came in about 30-35yds and starred right at me. 3inch winchester double #5 flopped that dominate gobbler 9inch beard about18.25lbs and oddly short spurs
Congrats

Discussion starter · #31 ·
Love hunting stories, especially turkey hunting stories. Congrats Hemingway! Rarely does a hunter with little skill get a bird, you obviously know what you're doing. Congrats!!!

Lol

I dare them to come at me, bro! Gonna bust a cap in their grill piece.*

* Courtesy of 1980s urban slang
I love when there real close and you cant get your gun wurhout them seeing so your hurry up and they get that"i messed up " look on there face

I don't talk about hunting much, but this year I took an excellent bird. I decided to take the bow out this year.

I got out late, arriving after sunrise. It was windy in the morning and nothing was moving, or at least nothing that I could see or hear. No birds, no rabbits, no deer. I took a lunch break and around 11 the wind stopped and the birds came out.

I sneaked up a ridge and stood by a tree for a while. I used a mouth call a little and managed to get a flock about 20 feet away from me down the hill. I was wishing I had my box call, but it would have been difficult to use with the bow.

There were a few toms and maybe 20 hens in the flock. I had a good view, but few opportunities for a shot with all the trees on the hill. There were three narrow lines of fire on the side the birds were hanging out. I cooed and watched for a while until I was satisfied I knew at least a few of the toms in the group. I usually take the smallest tom I can find, but the big tom was alone in one of those lines of fire and presented the least risk of a pass-through that might cause injury to the other birds. It was the cleanest shot I figured I'd get at one. So I pulled, sighted, and loosed.

It was a good shot. I severed his spine and hit his lungs. But he didn't die immediately. I walked over and necked him to put him down. I was fast about it.

I usually take smaller birds because it's the correct amount of meat for my wife and I. My 3 year old likes wild turkey, and my sister and her husband came over to help us eat him. We basically did an impromptu Thanksgiving dinner. Between us and the turkey noodle soup I made with the carcass and legs the next day we were able to use all of him. He was a tasty bird.

14.6 lbs gutted and plucked, I weighed him on my kitchen scale to know how long to bake.

No pictures unfortunately. I don't take them very often, and didn't get one this time.

Good luck out there folks. Stay safe.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Ok, i'm telling one of my stories. My BIL and I were set up in a ditch watching a huge group of birds up in the trees about 80 yards in front of us. It was getting daylight and I had my back to the tree and he was laying on his belly behind the tree right behind me. He was calling and they were responding, but eventually they started working the other way. They were just about to get out of sight, and I was just about to stand up and start my cussing fit when I heard a cluck right behind us. It was CLOSE!!!! I don't know where this bird came from but he walked over my BILs legs, just past my right shoulder and out in front of me. He got about a barrel length in front of me and realized he wasn't in a good place. He took off straight away from me but only got a few steps in as I turned and fired. He was so close, even I couldn't miss. It was really cool seeing red and blue come into the corner of my eye at about 2' away.

It's funny, but I've probably killed as many birds I wasn't calling (on purpose) as I have birds I was calling.

Discussion starter · #40 ·
Reminds me of another time a friend and I were hunting on a cemetery road. He was calling in this group of gobblers that were coming hard. I raised my gun and just as I got ready to shoot, a funeral procession came by. I lowered my gun, stood and took off my hat. By the time the procession was over, the toms were long gone.

My friend said, "Wow, that is the most humanitarian, the most sportsmanlike thing I think I've ever seen."

I said, "Well, we were married for 42 years!"

21 - 40 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.