Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2-Turkish Mausers. One is an 8mm and the other is being rebarreled to the 6.5x55 swedish mauser cartrige. The mauser being rebarreled is scoped. The other one is a recent purchase and still has battle sights.

Overall, I like the turkish mausers, but there are alot of bad ones out in the market. You have to be careful buying them.

Warren

·
Registered
5 Posts
Turks

Turks!
Yes, there are indeed some that are worthless. Ya just have to try and find the 'best' available. Getting one with matching #'2 is almost impossible.
I've one that still in 8mm, the other has been converted to .243. Both guns shoot very well and very tough.
Looking back, I'd not again rebarrel a Turk, just not worth the expense. Just leave it in 8mm and shoot it!
I don't think I'd ever again rebarrel a Mauser unless it's got matching #'s, there is just a 'smoothness' there that is not felt with rifle without matching #'s.
My two cents.
Jim

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
I've got a Turk Mauser that I had rebarreled for .338-06. I also have one in the original 8x57 Mauser. My next one will be rebarreled for .30-06. Whatever you do with them, you can't go wrong..........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Turk Mausers

Rebarreling is expensive, I agree. To really make them shoot right, you are talking about trueing the action + cost of the Barrel + installation, and glass bedding the action. It's alot of work and money to make them right.

Warren47

·
Registered
58 Posts
You can get a C & R by first visiting ATF online and downloading the forms ( about the same as the NICS form), fill them out, two copies, one to local head of police, or sherrif in my case, and one to the ATF with a check for thirty dollars. They do a background check and then you get the license in the mail. Takes anywhere from 6 to 12 weeks, most go in 6-8. The license is good for three years, you can then purchase across state lines any curio or relic. You can not use this license to buy and sell as a business, you must keep a book listing purchases, all the details are at the ATF site. You can also download the C&R list. The site is worth a visit for anyone interested in collecting or firearms laws and regs, or just to see how your dollars are spent. Take a look.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The last turk I got was 95% bluing, had a replacement stock with very proud wood, one small flaw in the lower handguard. It came with bayo, and the two bandos of ammo all for 80 samolians. A Turk for 125 is mighty steep. I would think hard about that. Soundsa like someone is trying to make a tall profit. Just my opinion, tho.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Re: $$$

Originally posted by militarianut
How much do Turks run for? Theres one at teh yocal gun shop for about $80 I think. I did'nt look at it for real long but thought it would be a interesting addition. Thanks. - myers

Wholesale is $ 40 , but it is sight unseen . If you have a local Big 5 Sporting goods store , checl them out .

Wyr
God Bless

·
Registered
351 Posts
Originally posted by Ratbag
:confused: How does one get a C&R? I'm new to the collecting game.

Call the BATF for the forms . Fill out both copies . One copy goes to your local law enforcement agency . The other form & $ 30 goes to the BATF . Be prepared to wait about 60 days .

If you are in an anti-gun state , the locals can block the approval . In a pro-gun state , it is apiece of cake .

Wyr
God Bless

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.