Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
could someone give me an opinion of 1903 & 1938 turkish mausers.they seem cheap enough to buy without breaking my gun budget and might make a good play toy.are they worth buying?

·
Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler
36,692 Posts
The M1903 is a specific model, made up to the twenties when the Turks used them in a major local war. The Model 1938 is more a broader specification, with many older rifles reworked to the 1938 standard - even many M1903's.
Others were made to this standard from the beginning. That's why you will see a lot of variations in the M38's - different receivers, barrels, etc.
The Turks are good basic rifles, but the Turks USED them! Many are simply worn out. Some are pristine. Most fall somewhere in between. These rifles really must be inspected in person - I wouldn't order an M38 from a vendor.

My M1903 was Bubba'd - the stock cut down. But, it remains very accurate and reliable.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I just bought one and I'm really in the dark about it .
1938 appears on the receiver under the Turk moon and 903 under the 1938 .
The serial numbers match on the receiver , barrel and rearsights . Turk symbols on the bolt and lots of cresent moons all over . Nice walnut stocks without any stamps and little in the way of dings and bruises . No import stamps , well defined rifling down the bore.
How can one tell if it's a rework ?
I'll try and post some photos after I clean it up and likely find more stampings .

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
I just bought one....How can one tell if it's a rework ?.......
How about the receiver and barrel serial number do not match.

I have a couple of them. One I thought would be a good shooter based on muzzle bullet depth, not. It's being rebarreled with Belguim commercial 30-06 as of now.
I bought one 38, in College Station, Texas that was at a pawn shop for over a year. Bubba had gotaholdt of it. Cut the stock. Then taped stock with camo duct tape.
Bubba Bubba, Bubba, well bless his heart.
Measured muzzle with pawn store I.D. micrometer. .323". Walked out with it after giving up a fithtydollar bill. Restocked it with a 1903 stock. It's one of my better mauser shooters! Barrel bore is frosted but shoots great.

·
Registered
6,237 Posts
YES

Most people I know buy these to have them converted to custom hunting rifles. I know a smith that bought a bunch of these up and was at one time selling them for around 450$ in several calibres with composite stock, bent bolt, and scoped. These rifles were completely stripped down to the recievers and rebuilt.

Check out his site if you are interested; you won't be disappointed.
Welcome to LowTech

1 - 5 of 5 Posts