Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
check out this bird that was killed on a friend's hunting lease in S. Central Fla.. it is a hybrid cross of a turkey with a peacock! a neighboring ranch has a few peafowl and this is what happened. this morning I showed the picture to some other friends who also have leases (but in a different area) who said that some peafowl showed up there. I told them that this is what they might see in the future too.
sorry!

· Registered
6,297 Posts
There is a joke in there somewhere.

oh im just playing on that whole "florida man" thing.. and all the ridiculous stuff that happens in FL( i was born and raised there so i can talk crap)

of course a turkey would breed with a peacock.. in FLorida... must have been the heat and humidity that drove them to do it.

· <------------<<<-
4,680 Posts
That would be an Oscillated Turkey.

· Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I thought it was really cool too until I realized that this could be the start of another major invasive animal problem. fortunately hybrids seldom are able to reproduce. I would hate to see our unique Osceola turkey sub species become ruined by this. another problem and one that almost wiped out wild turkeys in N. America is fowl pox. it can be passed from the immune domestic turkeys and other fowl to the wild turkey population with drastic results.

· Registered
10,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That would be an Oscillated Turkey.

thats what I thought too but my friend swore it was shot on his lease. looking at your picture, I think I might have been bullshitted! :mad:

· <------------<<<-
4,680 Posts
thats what I thought too but my friend swore it was shot on his lease. looking at your picture, I think I might have been bullshitted! :mad:
It's still a possibility he did. Maybe they got set loose down there.

· Registered
12,742 Posts
heck i'm just glad i got to see it.

now believe it or not the turkeys we have around here are actually a cross between the three different types they tried dropping off in various areas.
each flock basically all but died off, but the ones that made it cross bred and have become a new species of some sort.
tall lanky things they are, they taste rather bland and have some pretty tough meat on them to boot.
i should probably stop running them over when i see them on the highway.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.