close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Two Hollywood Legends Are Gone

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cyrano, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

I regret to report that in two days, we lost two Hollywood legends, one after the other.

Yesterday, Martin Landau, who won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for his role as Bela Lugosi in the biopic Ed Wood, crossed the Great Divide. He is probably better known as Rollin Hand, "the man of a thousand faces" of Mission: Impossible. He died of complications after a brief hospitalization.

And today, we lost George Romero after a short bout with cancer. Romero is essentially responsible for the modern zombie genre due to the success of his Living Dead movie franchise.

I won't say that the two of them are giants; but both stood head and shoulders above their contemporaries in Hollywood. I will miss them both.

jwrauch, Coach, TACAV and 1 other person like this.
  2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I saw that too. RIP to both of them.

3. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

RIP fella's.

4. Coach

Coach G&G Evangelist

NYS
    Karloff? KARLOFF?? F%@$ KARLOFF!! THAT"S NOT ACTING! GRRRRUU GRRRUUU

PAPA G likes this.
  5. Kmcdowell

Kmcdowell G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Omaha NE
    I remember just recently seeing Martin Landau in an old episode of one of the TV westerns. I can't remember if it was the Rifleman or Wanted, Dead or Alive, but it's amazing how often you see great actors with bit parts in early TV shows. In the last few days I've seen James Coburn, Adam West and comedic actor Buddy Hackett in old western TV shows.

PAPA G likes this.
  6. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

May they rest in Peace.

The original Mission Impossible was one of my favorites.

Ten Man and PAPA G like this.
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

George Romero basically created the modern Zombie Movie genre as we know it. Earlier, zombies were depicted rather differently. He had a vision, and now it has become a part of our culture.
    I too have seen Martin Landau in old westerns. Same with Peter Graves, Mike Connors, James Doohan, Deforest Kelly and James Best. The stars had to start somewhere!

PAPA G likes this.
  8. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

I mostly remember Martin Landau from the TV series Space 1999 with his good looking wife Barbara Bain.

Big Dog likes this.
  9. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

I hadn't heard about Romero. I thought he was in the middle of shooting a movie.

10. Before romero, zombies were more like voodoo golems or something.

PAPA G likes this.
  11. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I liked the old time zombies. Shuffling around, obeying their master etc.
    Current zombie breed!

Big Dog likes this.
  12. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

So did the writers. Bruce Geller, who created Mission: Impossible; Harry Julian Fink, who is the co-creator of Dirty Harry Callahan and the screeenwriter for a number of big name movies; Harold Jack Bloom, the creator of Emergency!; Samuel A. Peeples, who created three series of his own; Sam Peckinpah, who went on to become a renowned director; and even the infamous "Show Killer," Fred Freiberger, all got their start writing for the TV Westerns.

And of course The Great Bird of the Galaxy, Gene Roddenberry, who went on to change the world by creating Star Trek got his start in series production writing for the Westerns. He gained a great deal of experience as a staff writer for Have Gun - Will Travel, and won a Writers Guild of America award for his episode, "Helen of Abajinian."

Big Dog likes this.
  13. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I never really liked Martin Landau's acting. To me he was a bit stiff, and just recited his lines like a robot. I never really got into Space: 1999 because both him and Barbara Bain just never seemed to put any feeling into it.
    It takes a lot to make me not want to watch a SF show.

14. Gun Junkie

Gun Junkie G&G Evangelist

I liked how Landau could also do comedy, like Chief Walks Stooped Over, in The Hallelujah Trail.

15. Huey Rider

Huey Rider G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

His wife Barbara Bain stared with him in Mission Impossible, also.