Two Men on United Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Attack'

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by grizcty, Aug 30, 2010.

1. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

ABC Quote:
    Two men taken off a Chicago-to-Amsterdam United Airlines flight in the Netherlands have been charged by Dutch police with "preparation of a terrorist attack," U.S. law enforcement officials tell ABC News.
    U.S. officials said the two appeared to be travelling with what were termed "mock bombs" in their luggage. "This was almost certainly a dry run, a test," said one senior law enforcement official.

ABC News Exclusive: Two Men on United Flight from Chicago Arrested on 'Preparation of a Terrorist Attack' in Amsterdam

2. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist

Ahmed Mohamed Nasser al Soofi, of Detroit, MI, and Hezem al Murisi, Looks like typical Detroit native names !

3. Yeah those are some pretty common American names right there..:lol: Apparently they are from Yemen though..hmm..

4. big shrek

big shrek G&G Evangelist

Tell the Dutch they can keep 'em and use 'em for target practice.

5. Seems to me Daley and his cronies should be more concerned with security then backdoor denial of the citizens of Chicago's right to bear arms?

6. 99dragon99

99dragon99 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I always tape a cell phone to my pepto, so I can call and ask where it is when I need it... lol

I thought that even checked luggage was screened. I remember having to hand my checked luggage to the TSA for screening after checking in. If the luggage was locked, I had to wait until it was screened before I could go.

Since Pan Am 104 no checked luggage is allowed on a plane without the passenger. That is one of the few TSA processes that actually works, especially if the delay caused by removing the luggage causes me to miss my connecting flight.

7. Why didn't they just wait and throw them out over the North Atlantic with some "Mock Parachutes"? Then they could have told the media and the rest of the nut jobs it was just a dry run.

8. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

With the wireless technology of today I say that this is a diversion tactic . You could simply have the phone and the detenator in the same location no need to tape them together . Watch out america something tells me this was a shell game not a dry run .

9. hfreyer

hfreyer G&G Regular Forum Contributor

Question

I have a question and can't find any place else to ask. How do you become a contributing member? I have looked at the site everywhere I can think and can not find the place.

10. grizcty

PM the site owner Chris.
    For more info.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  11. grizcty

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010
  12. Well the Dutch let the two men go. Said, they had no reason to hold them. Well, if having thousands of dollars in cash, multiple cell phones, some taped to bottles even I heard, and whatever else isn't grounds for at least detaining them and AT THE VERY LEAST LETTING UR PEOPLE INTERVIEW THEM, Then, I just don't know that there is or will ever be anything we can do?

13. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Enthusiast

I dont know about you, GM, but I travel with a lot of cash myself. I can see traveling abroad with a few thousand dollars. The one guy had $7,000. That really isn't that much in today's terms. Personally, I very rarely trust my Debit Card. Banks can put a hold on your card simply for one transaction that they deem questionable, then you are left out on the street until you can somehow get it sorted out. I'd rather have cash that I know will work as long as I have it. Even on a road trip, I will carry $1,200-$1,500. Of course, I don't do much traveling and now without solid work; I don't have much money. But, when I did, I would.

This case was a mistake, though I do believe they had reasonable cause to initially hold them.

What happened was the one guy, in his checked luggage, had a cell phone affixed to a medicine bottle. He also had 3 other cell phones bound together. He said that he did this because they were bundled together for gifts to different individuals. I don't think the Muslims are akin to our way of wrapping their gifts in shiny paper like we Westerners are.

There were also knives in the checked luggage. None of these things are illegal to have in a checked luggage, though they may be questionable.

Then, through further investigation, the authorities there found that the individuals did not know eachother and it was just a coincidence that they changed their flights because their flights were delayed, so they each decided separately to change their flights so they could get off the ground. They were on different flights, mind you.

So, in this case, the authorities did what they were supposed to do. They held individuals for questionable packaging, searched their bags and did an investigation. After finding no fault and no malicious intent, the individuals were let go.

There are 1 Billion Muslims in this world. I am not about to persecute them all because of a few bad apples. That is like saying because there are a few unfortunate and tragic incidents with guns, we should get rid of all guns and all people who use guns.

Now, if they were found to have been conspiring to bring down those planes...then hang them by their cajones, rub them down with pig fat and light them on fire. But, if they are innocent, let the guys go on with their private business.

My logical question would be, however...if I were going to blow up a plane with a cell phone-ignited bomb in my checked luggage, why would I bother taking $7,000 with me? It would fall in a flaming ball to the earth along with me. Wouldn't do any good for anyone. Would be better left in the hands of the person next in line for a stupid kamikazi attempt to spend on their goods...or my family that I ignorantly left behind.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2010