Two New Mosins in the Family

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Cyrano, May 20, 2008.

1. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Southern Ohio Gun just delivered the two Mosins I ordered. Total came to just over $200 including hand pick fees and shipping. Not bad; that buy alone justifies my C&R fee, given that at the gun shop nothing-special 91/30s are going for $150 and M38s for $189. (Let's see; $150 plus $189 is $339, plus 8.25% tax in NY of $28, plus 3% of total if you pay by check or credit card is $11, so local gun store total = $378.)

They arrived sans Cosmoline, but with a heavy coating of oil - 10W30, I think. I could, if I wanted to, take them right to the range and start shooting, but of course I'll clean them first. Both are matching numbers, but I suspect they're force-match numbers

The 91/30 is a Tula 1926. I got lucky, because SOG wants an extra $40 for Tulas. The lands look like they have sand on them, which should clean right out with a little Hoppe's. It's not counterbored. Should shoot just fine.

The M38 is an Izzy 1943 and is counterbored about 1 inch, which annoys me because I requested prewar and not counterbored when I paid the pick fee. Silly as it sounds, the bolt handle seems to be shorter than Natasha's (my 1923 unissued [or so the gun shop claimed] Izzy). It's also missing the insert in the hole for the rear dog collar, not that this affects me at present. I ought to be able to find another one someplace.

One caveat about these SOG guns: before you take them to the range if you want to shoot right out of the box, be sure you check the screws and make sure they are tight! Mine weren't. It isn't an issue because as I said I'm planning to take them down and clean them, but it's still worth checking on if you get a rifle from them that looks like it's been cleaned by SOG.

Looks like I need to buy some more Bulgarian heavy ball.....

2. Just about every MN I have purchased has had loose screws (as does the purchaser, but that's another thread/story), but that just made it easier to tear down and clean.

Even if I bought the rifle from a private party (as I did with the Romanian) I would still clean it and check the firing pin clearance at minimum.:)

Congrats on the new boomers!

3. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Pictures

Cyrano: Sir; Pictures:), need Pictures:)
    Where do you plan to order your Ammo. I've been looking and thinking I need more:09::)

4. Cyrano

New York
    AIM Surplus has a good deal going on 180 grain Bulgarian heavy ball, FMJ with brass cases: 250 rounds for $40 plus shipping. They also have Russian (weight not specified), copper washed steel cases, lead FMJ: 440 rounds for $70 plus shipping. It works out to 16 cents a round for either. Personally, I prefer the Bulgarian.

5. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

6. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Congrats on the new rifles! Where's the pics?

7. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Now Geo, Watch that about the loose screws! Most of us will take that personally!:09:

8. SwedeSteve

Most of us think of Tex when you say that Geo, ROFL !!

9. texnmidwest

LMAO!!! Now you made me spit chewed up peach all over my computer screen some went up my nose too!:hitwithrock::09::09::09:

10. Hey, I can only speak for myself, but no doubt about some here (make that most) that are loosly tightend.:09:

That's a good thing.:)

11. texnmidwest

I think this place would be a hell of a lot more boring if that were not the case! Now, where is my screw driver.....

12. It's that big glass marked "Orange Juice".:09: (the fine print reads "with Stolies").

Oops, almost forgot the Galiano.

13. Cyrano

New York
    Have to get a snapshooter before I can put anything up, Steve. My wife has a really good Nikon, but when she upgraded to the new 2 GB card my card reader doesn't see the card, so I can't soot and download; and if I put the 256 MB card back in, it bollixes up the works. She can only download at work now, until she gets a new reader for home. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a camera.

By the way: what kind of white stuff would you rub on and off so the markings and numbers on the receiver are legible, the way they are on the Mosin reference page?

14. SwedeSteve

Cyr-Crayon works, as does white tempera paint (water soluble).

15. marion57

marion57 G&G Newbie

+1 also white out and chalk

16. SwedeSteve

Is white out water soluble?

17. a 91/30 made in 1926 either you made a typing mistake or u are :bs2::bs2:ing us into believing you got a 91/30 when in fact you got a true blue M91, sly dog Cyrano, but im on to you :lmao::09::09:

18. A crisco can of white lithium greese works to highlight as well.

19. jack007

jack007 G&G Addict

congats on the new mosin's. sounds like i need to get a C&R license.

20. Cyrano

New York
    Oh, you do, jack, you do. If I were you, I'd hurry up and spend the $30 and get it, just in case the DFemocrats win the White House in 2008 and resume their campaign to gut the Second Amendment and continue to try disarming the civilian population.

Shooter, this new one is the same length as Natasha, and if I've measured her right Natasha is a 91/30. That means either I have two 1891s (not very likely) or a pair of 91/30s (far more likely). As soon as I get the snapshooter up and running, I'll take pix and I'll re-measure, and you guys and tell me what I have.

Last edited: May 25, 2008