close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

type of sks

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by AR-tim, Mar 24, 2002.

1. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    I bought an sks at an auction. I researched it alittle on simonov.com. It has Norinco on the receiver and 5XXX is on the stock, mag(fixed), "charging handle", cover of bolt handle. 230 is also on the receiver. It looks like there are machining marks in the receiver-little swerls in the metal. I am wondering if this is a sino soviet? I heard most of the serial numbers of those start with a letter, and then have four or five numbers. I also heard they have a K in a circle on the barrel. Mine does not have those features. On the receiver the factory stamp is a triangle with a 13 with little trianle or (I heard the are zeros) on each side-0130. Any info would be helpful. There is also a mark on the piece that is attatched to the barrel that the gas tube pushes on to-there are some numbers on it, but I can't read them yet. Thanks for the help.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2004
  2. Gyrene

Gyrene G&G Newbie

CA
    AR-tim - THe factory code could be 136 which initially looks as if it is a triangle with 13 and little triangles, as you describe. If you look closely with a good light, it might be visible as 136 (the triangle on the right becomes a 6. I am not so sure that there was a factory 13, www.simonov.net does not show one existing. It very well could be one from the era of the Soviet help in setting up the factories. Hope that this helps.

The www.simonov.com site is a Family web site.

3. Klaus

Klaus G&G Newbie

It is easy to tell if it is the Russian pattern or Chinese pattern. Look at the pin and hole that holds the receiver cover. If it is nicely machined with a key on the pin and keyway milled in the receiver, it is a russian pattern gun, and possibly Sino-Soviet. If the hole and pin are round, it probably a reguler Norinco SKS. After the Chinese took over production, the cut corners on the design and removed a bunch of the machining that the original gun had.

4. AR-tim

AR-tim G&G Newbie

WI
    http://www.simonov.net/images/howie/symbolsBIG.jpg

Not sure if the link will work, but it is from simonov.net. I went there, then clicked on sks identification, then sks project, and then chinese factory code chart. There is a chart of triangle factory codes and the one in the lower left hand corner is closest to mine. The three is alittle different.

Klaus, the pin is round with another pin or "key" pushed through it (it is pushed through on the left hand side of the big pin).

One more question, if you don't mind. I have figured out how to take the rifle apart all the way down to the barrel/receiver being in the the stock. How do you get the stock off? Do you have to take the big screw out from above the magazine and below the rear sight? If so, I can not because I looked at that and it was center punched on both sides of the bottom of the screw so it can not be removed.

I will buy a manual for my sks in two weeks when I attend my next gun show. Thank you all for your time and patience, its been very helpful.

-Tim

5. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    :insane: Haven't seen AR-Tim around much, wonder if he's still tring to get that stock off?

6. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

What? Tripping down memory lane today? :insane:

7. jerry

USA
    :rolleyes: No, just tripping

I was reading through SKS post from the beginning while waiting for my daughter to get to the next step on a 4H project she's doing.

8. NRAJOE

Didn't know they had magic 'shrooms in Illinoid.... :hmmm: :insane: :p

9. jerry

USA
    Well,
    I don't know what you are talking about?????

10. jerry

USA
    Well,
    that would be just...............wrong.

11. NRAJOE

Jerry must have lived a sheltered life LD...:D