close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Typr 99

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dennis, Apr 7, 2002.

1. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    I got a type99 in rather good condition WITH THE FLOWER
    Last year we had an earth quake and the old gun fell from it's place on the wall and cracked thestock near the pistol grip area.
    Can I get a nother stock or should I leave it alone. it is not real noticable.

2. TYPE 99

IS IT A NEW SPLIT? MANY STOCKS WERE TWO PIECE AT THAT AREA
    DANA

3. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
    Looks fresh to me, I dont remember it before.
    Are replacement stocks avalible and should I even bother?

4. TYPE 99

YOU COULD TRY GUN PARTS CORP WEST HURLEY NY. BUT AGAIN IF THE SPLIT IS PART WAY UP THE GRIP AND FULL LENGTH TO THE BUTT MANY ARE SPLIT THERE AS THEY WERE TWO PIECE STOCKS
    BEST OF LUCK
    DANA

5. Dana and Dennis, Looks like we are the only Ol'boys that have the Jap 99 or no one else gives a danm. My Neighbor wanted to buy my Jap. Nope, nada, noway. He did have something I'd trade for, an M1A with Srpingfield scope. He said nope, nada no "F" ing way. Love my Jap. Always get great groups with a cold barrel. Try Acution Arms.com they allways have plenty of stuff. There are several projects I'm working on and its always fun to go cyber scavenger hunting.:nod:

Last edited: Apr 8, 2002
  6. Dennis

Dennis G&G Evangelist

Texas
  7. David N

David N G&G Newbie

Type 99 Stock

You are not alone out there. There are other folk interested in Type 99s. I have one that was rechambered to 30.06 after the war. I am told that they were modifi=ed and given to the South Koreans in 1950 and 51. I don't know how true it is but does seem possible. Apparently someone brought it into the country and sportorized the stock to use as a hunting rifle. I would like to restore it to original shape but have been unable to locate a new stock for it. I checked with Gun Parts some time ago but they were no help, in fact they were kind of rude about the whole matter. Short of buying a whole other rifle in 7.7 for about $1250 150 I can't justify the cost. Any help or suggestions woud be appreciated.

8. Eddie L.

Eddie L. G&G Newbie

Re: Type 99 Stock

9. Eddie L.

Eddie L. G&G Newbie

I bought my first 99 in 1949 at the age of 13. I hunted with it
    for 20 years. Nothing wrong with the 7.7. I loaded norma brass. Those chrome barrels are excellent. I now own two that for collectors are junk.
    Mine came with Jap ammo with a violet band. They explode on contact and sometimes before they get to the target.
    Check the break and you will probably find that it is just the glue from the original manufacture releasing. Re glue and have fun.

10. Eddie L.

Eddie L. G&G Newbie

A word of caution. One of my Jap 99 rifles would fire when I let off the safety if the trigger had been pulled while on safety.
    I haven't tried it on my others. This could have been a disaster.

At 14 however I had yet to learn that one never touches the trigger until ready to shoot. I had noone to teach me this and someway I have survived 66 years.
    Not too dumb to learn-