close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Ubiquitous SHTF Gun Thread ... the sequel

Discussion in 'Survival Discussions' started by Held Fast, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Moroco Mole

Moroco Mole G&G Evangelist

Ohio
    My Remington 870 20 gauge Magnum express.
    1. I have every choke and a ton of different use ammo.
    2. I have a tube extender to make it hold 9+1 2&3/4 shells.
    3.It loads pretty quick and I'm a natural aim with it.
    4.Its custom fitted, just for me. Plus, I can carry it on my back and I hardly know it is there.
    5.Recoil- muzzel flip, is very controllable.
    6. Compared to all other guns I am just naturally awesome with a pump.
    7. I have a lot of spare parts and a complete tool kit just for it.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
    Held Fast, Jaison and SUBMOA like this.
  2. I'm reading the thread with interest because I'm not sure what I'd want or end up with.

It would probably be my EDC Sig P938 in 9mm (when I get it, that is). No, it doesn't have a huge capacity mag, but the mags are small, so I could load and carry quite a few. Ammo availability? Oh please...lol 9mm is as common as crabgrass and I'm really sure I'd find some that others "no longer have a need for".

If I had to have a long gun, I'm clueless. While the Mosin would be great in terms of removing threats and taking big game, ammo availability is a problem. I like 12g shot guns, preferably side by sides. Ammo is as common as crab grass and about as cheap.

Anybody have any suggestions for something easy to maintain, cheap to feed and isn't an AR?

Held Fast and Moroco Mole like this.

3. john_r

john_r G&G Evangelist

Jax, Fla
    Cheap rifle to feed, a 9mm carbine. Sub2000, Hipoint, etc. or a 10/22.

Held Fast, MosinRuger and Moroco Mole like this.
  4. Would the 9mm carbine take the same 9mm as the Sig p938? I'm thinking it would, but I could be very wrong. :)

Moroco Mole likes this.
  5. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Marlin M336 lever rifle in .30-30. Ammo is available anywhere ammo is sold.

6. john_r

john_r G&G Evangelist

Jax, Fla
    It certainly would.

Moroco Mole likes this.
  7. Stickman

Stickman Less well known member Forum Contributor

Yakima
    Supremely viable!:D

8. MosinRuger

MosinRuger G&G Evangelist

Colorado
    My AR-15 for sure. Runner up would be the 10/22, but i'd rather have the greater "firepower" of the 223/556.

I have a rifle Go-Bag set up with the rifle all necessary accessories, tools and cleaning supplies, along with about 300 rounds of ammo, half of it loaded into mags.

I can this bag fairly well but not very far. If need be i could ditch alot of the stuff and just put the ammo in my BOB and carry the rifle. things like the bipod and extra optic arent necessary.

But the AR-15 can serve both the defense and hunting capabilities while still being lightweight and light small ammo(relatively).

9. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Evangelist

Ah what about the Savage model 24 combo over under?
    .223/20ga

10. austinjoe13

austinjoe13 G&G Evangelist

Probably the Dirty-30 Marlin. There's no mags to lose, and the action is solid. I will always have a bow for taking game. I'd pretty much only need a defensive weapon.

Moroco Mole and Held Fast like this.
  11. Held Fast

Held Fast G&G Evangelist

Okinawa
    If you got a 226 instead of the 938, a Sub2k would even use the same magazines.

Jaison and Moroco Mole like this.
  12. That may well be true, but the 938 is more my style. The P226 is a full size and uses .22lr, whereas the P938 is a 9mm subcompact. Much more useful for EDC and concealed carry.

I looked at the 9mm carbines suggested and well...how do I put this politely? They're butt ugly and out of budget.

13. john_r

john_r G&G Evangelist

Jax, Fla
    The Beretta CX4 is pretty sexy looking, but as you say out of most people's budget.

Same with the Ruger 9mm carbine (long discontinued). They go for $700 and up.

Moroco Mole likes this.
  14. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Evangelist

SEMO
    I personally feel that a semi auto needs to be avoided, unless you want to keep/carry a lot of spare parts...enough to build a couple more rifles actually. If I only get one, it will most definitely be a bolt action or a break action rifle in a caliber that has tons of ammo our there (223, 7.62x38, 308, 9mm)

15. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

The new redesigned Hi-Point Carbine is much better looking than the original "Planet of the Apes" version. I still want it in .45ACP, modified to use my M1911 magazines.

16. blaster

blaster G&G Evangelist

I would go with a 5.56 AR 15. accurate enough for head shots on small game, powerful enough for medium sized game. enough firepower for serious use and in a caliber that will be redially available. spare parts can easily be stored but if you are going to be shooting enough to wear or break parts, that means there will be battlefield pickups that will be available.:rolleyes:

17. I think the ar would be my choice if I could only have one. Parts, mags are mostly interchangeable. there are millions of rounds of ammo out there and the guns are very durable if you have a good one and not the lightweight special that's on sale in most stores now. My 10 inch barreled pistol is easy to carry and accurate for at least 150 200 yards

blaster, Held Fast and Moroco Mole like this.
  18. cjleete

cjleete G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Tough choice. I have three obvious candidates.... the sig 556 carbine... it'll likely outlive me and well... .223 ammo... the Kalashnikov underfolder for obvious reasons, or the Marlin model 94 38/357 mag lever gun. The Marlin probably makes the least noise, would leave more meat on a game animal, and the ammo is plentiful and I have the old Lee loader, the Lee hand press and dies, and tons of brass, powder and bullets, so that's a great choice there.

Held Fast, MosinRuger and Moroco Mole like this.
  19. runfiverun

runfiverun G&G Evangelist

the hi-point might be ugly to look at but they are super reliable, and pretty accurate.
    spare mags [10rds] are cheap enough too.
    I been using mine to shoot up all the ammo [reloading test failures] my other 9m's choke on.