close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Underrated .410

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Logansdad, Jul 7, 2002.

1. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

:eek: Most people in a gun store or shooting range talking about guns look down their collective noses at the .410. A major mistake in my book. A pump action loaded with slugs is more powerful than a .44 Magnum (let's look at the numbers...1/2 oz slug or 240 grains at 1800 to 1850 fps versus the .44 Magnum's 1150 to 1300 fps in the same grain weight payload from a 4 or 6 inch barrel).
    Not just that, but the .410 loses it's energy quicker (for those of you worried about overpenetration). And like most shotguns you can top it off if needed during a lull in the fighting. Oh and let's not forget that a grand jury or prosecutor isn't going to have the same initial reaction to the .410 that they will towards the .44 Magnum.
    If I'm wrong let me know...Any thoughts ?:rolleyes: :fuss: :nod: :assult:

2. If an intruder is in my house, most likely at night with low light conditions, I want a scattergun loaded with 00 buckshot. You can't fit many 00 in a .410. The .410 is a great kids shotgun for squirrel and deer (slugs). It's not an item that I would choose for combat or home defense.

Yes, it will kill. But, is it the right choice? And, have you priced shells lately? They cost a lot more than 12 or 20 gauge.

Good luck!

3. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I wanna get the Winchester lever action .410...the Model 9410...looks sweet...great idea!

4. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    panhandler,

I have to take exception to your referance to the .410 as being a kids gun. Anyone wanting to start a kid is much better off with a 28 or 20 ga. The .410 is an experts gun due to it's limited size and pattern dia. The pattern at 25yds is only 17-18 inches in dia. and beyond that range the patterns are too thin to be reliable(you can add 5yards for the 3" shell).

dave375

5. Dave,

The original post was geared toward home defense or combat, and was comparing the .410 to the .44 mag. I meant no offense.

You are correct that, in a dove field, only an expert would shoot a .410. (I wouldn't want to embarrass myself.) But the 20 gauge is a little heavy for small kids, and good luck finding shells for the 28! By the way, isn't .410 32 gauge or something like that?

Hey! I need all the pellets I can get. I'll check for .410 shooters in the field this year, and give them the praise they deserve.

Happy shooting!

6. dave375hh

dave375hh G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

Ohio
    Panhandler,
    The .410 is actually a 67 guage. The 32 ga. was/is a european experiment. The 32's I've seen were georgious s/s of about 4 to 4.5 lbs, and quite expensive.

With the advent of small guage side events at sporting clays tournaments 28ga. options and availablity have improved a lot, but prices are still higher than 12's or 20's.

dave375

7. 32ga

MY 32 GA IS A COMBINATION GUN 6.5 X 52RMM OR A 25/35 WITH A DETACHABLE SCOPE. AS THERE IS NO MARKINGS OTHER THAN PROOFING MARKS AND NUMBERS (PROOFED IN 1922) IT IS PROBABLY A HOUSE GUN.

DANA

8. STEVENS 240 O/U

FOR 30 YEARS OR SO I USED MY 240 O/U .410 FOR RABBIT HUNTING. I WOULD BE RIGHT IN THE BRUSH AND TREES WITH MY DOGS AND RABBITS NOT MORE THAN 20 FEET THE LONGEST SHOT. AT ONE TIME I 32 DOGS AND THE WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD UP IN ARMS ABOUT MY BEAGLES TUNING UP AT 5 IN THE MORNING. THEY (THE NEIGHBORS) FINALY WON OUT AND I GOT OUT OF THE DOG AND RABBIT HUNTING BUSINESS.

DANA

9. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Dana I wish my state had your states concealed carry laws

10. NRAJOE

The entire U.S. of A should have Vermonts carry laws!

11. HUNTING SEASON

NO ONE EVEN GIVES IT A SECOND THOUGHT ABOUT OPEN CARRY IN HUNTING SEASON LET ALONE CC CARRY.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DANA

12. Every body talks about underated calibers. Who wants to be the first to be on the receiving end of any projectile?

13. The 410 discussion of this sort took place on another thread.

14. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

Yeah Alan ...I just resurrected one of my original posts...Panhandler this was intended for apartment & trailer park dwellers who have the safety of neighbors to consider. After all you are legally liable for your shots..I know the 20 gauge and the 12 gauge are cheaper to shoot and are more popular in the home defense markets...but the .410 gauge has alot to recommend itself for this role and shouldn't be dismissed out of hand until all the facts have been reviewed

15. NRAJOE

Cool, whats your favorite trailer park gun and why fur?

16. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I have a co worker who has a vanity plate that says "Whyfur"

17. OK, the .410 is the choice of the "trailer park shooters". Isn't this getting ridiculous?

18. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

I certainly didn't intend such...

19. Logansdad

Logansdad Guest

My dad lives in a trailer park in Alaska...what are you trying to imply about trailers ?

20. I'm not implying anything about trailers or trailer parks. I've lived in both, so don't go polititically-correct. Lord knows, we don't need that on a firearms site.

I simply fail to see the need for a special-use "trailer gun." At in-home distances, what will work in my house, will work in a trailer. Flesh is remarkably good at stopping lead projectiles.

No offense was intended. Happy shooting.