Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently my grandfather gave my sister his mother's boot gun. 2nd H&R in two nights I have had my hands on. This one is a 5 shot revolver with no caliber markings. It is a break open. I have a 38 special case that fits in the cylinder just fine, though there is only 1/8" of space between the case mouth and the end of the cylinder. The barrel is 3-1/4". The upper part of the grip (on both sides) has a target with 5 shots on it. The serial number on it is D994**. The top of the barrel has the H&R stuff with a handful of patent dates--the first Oct 8/87 and the last April 7 1896. Any ideas?

·
Sir Loin of Beef
16,717 Posts
I would guess that it is not a 38 special but one of the older 38s.

I would have a gunsmith check to see what caliber it is.

Pictures would help if you have them.

Those old break actions are neat little firearms!

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
A picture would help.

The early break-top revolvers are chanbered in .22s,l,lr; .32 S&W; and 38 S&W. The .38 S&W was also referred to as the police special and, I believe, the police positive.

The .38 special case will fit the cylinder but with the bullet it will not. Never fire anything in it but a .38 S&W caliber...the .38 S&W will not fit in a .38 special, however.

Ammo can be had for this caliber either from AIM Surplus or Liberty Tree Collectors but is about $25 a box of 50.

Before you shoot it I'd recommend you have the gun checked by a competent gunsmith first. The guns are old and full of worn parts whick prevent cylinder lock up and cylinder rotation. Be sade not sorry.

The are alot of fun to shoot and make a convenient pocket pistol but I don't recommend using them for anything other than a back-up.

The H&R breaktops seem to be very similar to the Iver Johnson and American Arms break-tops but IJ made them for AA.

H&R continued to make break-top .22's well into the 1950's.

Value depends primarily on condition as there doesn't seem to be any rarities...I could be wrong though.

I have 4 Iver Johnson break-tops 2-.32 S&W's; 1-.38 S&W, and 1-.22 rimfire that I am trying to get back into working order...also have an H&R Sportsman .22lr 9-shot.

The break-tops, to me, are quite unique...but a pain on which to work. lol

I'd love to see pics of your H&R .38 S&W.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wasn't going to shoot it at all. Just wanted to see if the 38 spcl BRASS would fit in it to get an idea as to what caliber it wasn't. I have already taken some of it down and cleaned it up somewhat. Grandpa wouldn't mind seeing it in shootable condition. Just don't know exactly what model it is to look up parts. I wasn't sure if it was double action only, as the hammer would not catch when the hammer was pulled back. I took the trigger guard out and realized that the sear was not engaging the hammer when it was pulled back. I think the spring in it is shot. I will have to check into that one too. I will see if I can get a few pictures of it online tonight. It is not in near as rough shape as the other H&R I posted about two nights ago. Very strong rifling, minor surface rust, a few bad springs, etc. I don't know if it will ever get shot, but there is some high sentimental value to it. I would like to see it in working condition regardless. Dad (who does some fine woodworking) is going to make a display box for it.

·
Registered
8,553 Posts
I got my needed parts from Numrich.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I wasn't sure if it was double action only, as the hammer would not catch when the hammer was pulled back. I took the trigger guard out and realized that the sear was not engaging the hammer when it was pulled back. I think the spring in it is shot.
if the spring is coil type, not so hard to fix. flat springs may be hard to find.

i have a Forehand topbreak .32. the sear spring was missing, i took the flint spring out of a cheap disposible lighter, trimed it down to length put it all back together and it worked fine!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Looks like an H&R Premier, but I didn't think they made them in .38.
Thanks for your responses so far everyone! I just did a google on the H&R Premier and yeah, the pictures look just like mine. I looked through my 2007 version of Firearms price and reference guide and didn't see anything on that model. What would something like this be valued at?

Dang! Just looked at Numrich...they don't hardly have any parts for this one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts