Uniformed Cop Tears Down Pro Gun Sign

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by gandog56, Sep 24, 2013.

1. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

A man in Somers, N.Y., hatched a plan to catch the individual responsible for allegedly stealing his pro-gun signs repeatedly from his front yard. He bought a trail cam, set it up near the sign — and then waited.

When he learned that his sign had been taken yet again, he was elated because he knew he had finally caught the person responsible on camera.

He just didn’t expect that person to be a uniformed police officer.

Assuming the photos are entirely authentic, a police officer with the Somers Police Department appears to have been caught on camera ripping the sign, which reads: “Protect the Second Amendment,” from the man’s front yard. It wasn’t immediately clear if the police officer had removed the sign previously too or if the action was ordered by Somers PD.

TheBlaze has left messages with the Somers Police Department as well as the man who claims his signs were removed from his property on multiple occasions.

Here’s the photo evidence, which the man posted on the pro-gun forum NYFirearms.com on Monday (also notice the timestamps of the photos):

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Evangelist

I suggest that the officer should have 1 more day on the job during which time he should repair the sign and personally apologize to the homeowner, while the media watches.

3. SUBMOA

SUBMOA G&G Evangelist

It will be interesting to see how this one plays out !

4. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

....and I just posted a video on a GOOD cop. IMHO, if there is a civil war about the 2A, it won't be just brother vs brother. It will be cop vs cop and soldier vs soldier.

5. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

the "good cop" was a deputy, this guy is city police.
    I covered the police beat for years for three different cities, and in my experience most city cops are jerks, and most deputies are pretty decent "Andy Griffith" types.
    There are many exceptions to this rule, as well.

Sheriff's are elected. If a deputy is friendly and helpful, the sheriff looks good.

Police chiefs are appointed. If the mayor is a dink, the chief will be too. If the chief is a dink, the force will be made up of self important former high school bullies with no better career options.

Every good police chief I've ever met was former military, and the officers were either too disciplined to be jerks, or they were instilled with a proper sense of duty and manners.

6. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

wow, see its guys like this that give cops a bad name. Now I am curious as to what his punishment will be.

7. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Maybe none....he may have been ordered to tear it down due to a bad decision higher up after the stupid neighbor's constant complaints.

8. Mr.tbolt

Mr.tbolt G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Somers is right next to where I live. Gee, when do you think they will start removing all of the garage and tagsale signs that are stapled to every telephone pole on every corner at every intersection throughout their town? I'd much rather the tagsale signs disappear. But, that's me.

9. SKS NOOB

SKS NOOB G&G Evangelist

A question just occurred to me: Why didn't they approach the home owner and tell him that there were reports and they were taking the sign down? That officer should have told him instead of doing this very poor stealth operation.

10. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Some police think they're Gestapo?

11. chesterwin

chesterwin Moderator Staff Member

United we stand. Divided we fall. Bridge the rift and discard the chaff.

12. Rambo

Rambo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

It appears the sign is very close to the pavement, perhaps in the right-of-way, and may be in violation of an ordinance. I know my property does not go up to the edge of the pavement.

13. nostraboys

nostraboys G&G Enthusiast

That doesn't explain the officer kicking the sign down and throwing it into the back seat of his car.
    Furthermore, if it was illegal why didn't the officer cite the owner?

14. Rambo

Rambo G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Maybe the owner neglected to put his name, address and phone number on it. You should see all the election signs people put up illegally and the police have to take down.
    If this were just an act of vandalism, why would the police officer put the sign in his patrol car?
    A lot of information needs to come forward before we learn the true story.

15. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I will withhold judgement until there is more information presented. The sign does appear to be close to the roadway and could in fact be in the city's right of way. There could also be a city ordinance that requires you to get a permit to post a sign in the right of way. The one thing that the officer should have done is to approach the homeowner and inform him of any violation and have the homeowner remove the sign. If he was unable to make contact then he may have been within his rights to remove the sign.
    Now if he was doing it just to be an arse then I would agree that he should be reprimanded and forced to apologize and pay for damages.

16. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Yeah, not much to argue with if they notified the guy he had to take it down or they were going to take it down. But they didn't even give him a choice of doing it voluntarily. Just tore it down.

17. PaleHawkDown

PaleHawkDown G&G Evangelist

The sign ordinance where my parents live states all signs have to be 30 feet from the road. They nearly got a ticket for putting a sign on their own property advertising their garage sale.

On the other hand, the people across the street are allowed to post political signs at the edge of the road.

18. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Evangelist

if the sign were illegally placed, the proper thing is to have the code enforcement officer cite the homeowner. I'm all for due deliberation, and it should and I assume will happen there, but this seems a grevous FIRST AMENDMENT violation. I don't care if it was an skinhead sign, he has a right to free expression.

If there is something odd, it might be that the sign is knocked over already in the first picture. Maybe it's being retrieved for evidence of mischief. However, I hope we get follow up on this.

It also seems 1st Amendment rights are easier to defend in court than 2nd, so we may get a tangential 2nd Amendment victory here.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  19. rondog

rondog G&G Evangelist

Typical NY Gestapo.

20. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory

Hidden camera catches culprit taking man's Second Amendment sign

This is absolutely PATHETIC!

A New York man, frustrated when his pro-Second Amendment sign kept disappearing, was surprised when the hidden camera he set up revealed the culprit to be a local cop.

Jon Gibson, of rural Lake Lincolndale, about 50 miles north of New York City, told FoxNews.com he set up a hunting field camera near the sign, which reads "Protect the Second Amendment," and features the silhouette of an assault rifle, after two mysteriously vanished. A third sign disappeared before the camera finally captured the sign stealer -- a police officer from the nearby Somers Police Department.

Hidden camera catches culprit taking man's Second Amendment sign | Fox News

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted