Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been discussing an interesting Enfield rifle-musket with its owner, a fellow Canadian. It is a family heirloom and bears the date "1861". It also has a breech-loading mechanism, which would indicate a Snider-Enfield conversion. The first instinct would be that this is a converted Pattern 1853 rifle-musket, but now let's look at the pictures:

Wood Musical instrument Sports equipment Rectangle Tree

Air gun Trigger Bicycle part Gun accessory Shotgun

The odd thing here is that the forestock is so short, that there is only one band! This would make sense if this were a carbine or musketoon, but there is a long barrel! Normally, the 1853 pattern would have three bands. So we are at a loss at present to positively identify this firearm.

Further details:
  • Left to right, the action plate is marked with: a big crown, "1861", "Enfield", a small, downward-facing brad arrow (indicating government/military property), and a smaller crown.
  • On top of the action are the letters B.S.A.C., which would indicate the Birmingham Small Arms Company (could it be that they did the conversion to "Snider" breech-loading action?). Also two parallel swords, pointing down, joined by a crossbar at their tips, and other more minute markings.
  • Total length is 54 inches.
  • There is a channel on the underside of the stock indicating that at one time there was likely a ramrod.
What are we to make of this? For me, the odd feature out is the short forestock with only one band. Could it be that this is indeed a Pattern 1853 that had its forestock shortened, and why would someone do such a thing? Or could this be a special other model? Is it perhaps a carbine or musketoon that was later retrofitted with a long barrel? Or a special variant of the Pattern 1853 that was produced for the Canadian Militia or some other colonial market (e.g. for service in India)?

· Premium Member
10,601 Posts
I thought we had another posting with the same rifle not too long ago? Its another converted percussion to firing pin for cartridge. Like Blaster noted above the stock was cut because not needed anymore for holding ramrod.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts