Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes...tomorrow's the beginning of a big weekend here in MO. Deer season opens. Been seeing plenty of deer crossing roads and a few lying along the hwy's dead from cars that bumped them.

Ok...up at 4 a.m., drive 50 miles west to Rock Port, in Atchinson County to my hunting area. By 6 a.m. I plan to be up in the tree stand ready for sunrise around 6:30. Temp's should be starting at around 25 Deg F. moving up to around 45+/-. Everythings been planned for (I think). Here's what's in my back pack:

2 way radio
6" Remington skinning knife
extra 30-06 rounds
power bars
binoculars
rope
Springfield XD .9mm pistol
rubber gloves
inflatable camo pillow
small plastic bottle of water

Of course, I'll be carrying my Rem 700 30-06.

Now that's probably too much "stuff" but it's all got to be carried in about 1/2 mile on an old trail and then another 100 yds through the timber to the tree stand.

I would expect that it'll sound like WWII long about 7 a.m. when other hunters start harvesting their deer. Noise from gun shots travels a long way along the bluffs of the Missouri River so they're probably not as close it may sound.

Tomorrow evening, if I'm lucky, I hope to report of the day's hunt.

Ox :nod:

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
good luck menses, and nice going BK.

just remember big racks are better on wimmins, its the taste of the meat that counts!!! :rolleyes:

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,596 Posts
Went bow hunting today, leveled out a hill side for the ground blind to sit on on the 19th.

Good luck Ox!

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got back after one day of hunting. But...now I'm heading out to eat. Then I'll update you with the details later this evening.
Yes, we did have a fun day. :nod:

Ox

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
got skunked aaaay???

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,596 Posts
Get your strength up man!

Have momma rub your back & enjoy a little snort. Go to sleep like a fat baby with a chubby pecker, get up and do it again :right:

I love to hunt :)

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
Well I just got back after hunting half the day and flying this afternoon -- didn;t see a single deer the whole time I was in the stand but not 50 yards from leaving the property in the truck I came up on 9 Doe's -- going back out in the morning.

Jerry - next CALM wind day I solo

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Papa G...I never get skunked when I hunt. No deer yet...but I had one real good time today. I don't figure that's getting skunked...unless I needed the meat on the table immediately after the hunt.

Jerry...left momma back in K.C....90 miles south of where I'm staying this weekend...and I'll be dam ned if I'll let my two S.I.L"s rub my back :nod: :D Listen to this...those two young bucks were whining around about how cold it was and how sore their butt's were, etc. and personally, I thought the weather was just perfect. Started with 22 Deg F at 6 a.m, no wind and dark and warmed up in mid afternoon to around 45 Deg G. with sun. Now that's my kind of deer hunting weather, for sure. Those young guys are too soft. :nod:

Shaun...I know what you mean about seeing deer after the gun's unloaded and you finished hunting for the day. As soon as we got back to deer camp, which is located in an old barn next to large fields of corn which has been harvested, we saw three deer standing about 100 yards from us out in the field. Didn't reload but tomorrow's another day.

Now for what did happen...Ok...this morning from my deer stand I saw five deer, none of which I got a shot at. One was seen while it was still so dark that I couldn't make out much more than the white tail. Here in MO if it's a buck it's got to have at least four points on one side over one inch long...so I wasn't willing to take a chance in the dark...Plus it's not a safe shot, either. Then I saw a deer spooked from a road nearby running through the brush but too fast for me to shoot. And finally, I saw a young buck with approx. 6" spikes on each side but no other spikes that I could verify. That's not a legal deer, either. But...two does were close by that buck and still there wasn't a clear shot available for those lucky deer. This was all before 11 a.m. Went back to deer camp for homemade chile made with venison and seasoned heavily with spices. Man was that good. No beer, though.

The afternoon was spent either in my deer stand, walking around my stand, or sitting on a log looking for bambi. Not even one was seen. Therefore, I became a bird watcher, squirrel watcher, owl watcher, tree watcher, and unfortunately not a deer watcher. There's still tomorrow to fill my limit of one, either/or.

Now that is why deer hunting's so much fun. No honey do's to do, no phones, nothing but relaxing and looking for a record size deer to "make my day."

I'll comment on tomorrow's hunt after I get home in Gladstone tomorrow night. That should be around 9 p.m.

Shaun and Jerry...did you get any...deer that is? :nod:

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,596 Posts
Hi Ox,

No deer yesterday. I got a late voice mail on the phone. My buddy I hunt with said he needed help hanging a 12 pointer. (he shot from the same stand I hunted that morning) I need to call him today, if he's not pulling my leg I'll get a pic.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
My uncle dropped a nice 10 pointer last weekend with a bow, made me start itchin to get my own this year. Oh well 1 more month till I get my chance.

·
Registered
8,921 Posts
well I am back in today I saw plenty of deer on the property but they remained behind the tree's out of bow range -- if it was next week I would have several bagged today -- just required a bullet be threaded between tree's this morning

No deer yet Ox

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I didn't bag one today, either. See my other thread on this subject for more details. :nod:

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,596 Posts
Iv'e gotten skunked plenty (especially with the bow) Only gun hunting this year because I'm tired of eating everyone elses deer :ballons:

Long as you n-joyed your self :right:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
I hunt on the other side of the state from you oxford in St Genevive county. I filled my doe tag about 3:30 saturday afternoon, now I can concentrate on a buck.

I noticed that you hunt in atchison county, my buddy killed a nice 11 pointer there in bow season. Good luck and good hunting!

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Pumpkinheaver...those are French deer :hmmm: :stupid: in St Genevive County. Those French deer aren't as smart as the northern deer. :right: :D

Seriously, at 3:30 p.m. Saturday your work just began. Will you butcher it yourself? Wish I could get out again next weekend but I'm already tied up so it looks like last weekend was my only window of opportunity.

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
those french are never gonna outlive their past. "Those French deer aren't as smart as the northern deer." ox you crack me up, that is too funny. i just finished telling the old lady about your post and she thought it was pretty good too. the old ladies brother is getting seperated from his french wife and he would whole heartedly agree with you as well.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts