Update, Miss "V"!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dragunov, May 14, 2018.

1. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Miss V is Army! :)

TheWall and PAPA G like this.
  2. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

Yes, I know. I was just relating my experience from the Navy.

Dragunov likes this.

3. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Aww, I made E4 under 12 months. I made E5 under two years. I made E6 under 5 years. For some reason the Navy's advancement tests were extremely easy to me. As soon as I could take it, I would be in the 95 percentile.
    [​IMG]

And one of the best things about that picture, here it is 35 years later and I STILL fit in that shirt!

Merle, Dragunov, TheWall and 3 others like this.
  4. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Evangelist

Oh, Sorry.... Brain not functioning within normal parameters today.

PAPA G likes this.
  5. gandog56

I kept getting time in rank waivers because I scored so high on the tests. I got my first waiver because I joined the Navy Nuke program.

TheWall, Dragunov and PAPA G like this.
  6. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

In my Airforce hitch, I made E4 twice.......
    That was when they figured they were getting too many Buck Seargents who weren't ready for NCO status, so they created E4 Senior Airman. Same rank patch except the star was blue like the background instead of silver. Same paygrade. So I was SA for a year before I made Buck Seargent. Took the fun out of making NCO, as it wasn't any more money. The USAF still ended up with a butt load of young unready NCOs. No testing, just Time In Grade.
    Switching to the Navy for my second hitch confused my Mom. Had to explain to her why I was still E4, even though I went from three stripes to one! Haha.

Huey Rider, Dragunov and PAPA G like this.
  7. Big Dog

Big Dog Retired IT Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

In my Airforce hitch, I made E4 twice.......
    That was when they figured they were getting too many Buck Seargents who weren't ready for NCO status, so they created E4 Senior Airman. Same rank patch except the star was blue like the background instead of silver. Same paygrade. So I was SA for a year before I made Buck Seargent. Took the fun out of making NCO, as it wasn't any more money. The USAF still ended up with a butt load of young unready NCOs. No testing, just Time In Grade.
    Switching to the Navy for my second hitch confused my Mom. Had to explain to her why I was still E4, even though I went from three stripes to one! Haha.

PAPA G likes this.
  8. I think I mentiond to Grizcty once, that I went from
    Private to Major, and back to Private. in two weeks

Was given the job of Drum Major while on maneuvers.
    It did'nt last long enough to go to my head.:)

Dragunov likes this.
  9. gandog56

I got "frocked" when I made E5. Which kid of meant I could wear the rank insignia. I could perform the duties of that rank, but I didn't get paid for it until the paperwork went through.

Cyrano and TheWall like this.
  10. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

Yeah, I forgot about frocking. I skipped the first E4 exam like an idiot. And they passed and advanced just about everyone on that exam. That put me behind a few months. If I remember correctly the advancement exam was twice per year. I never missed a test after that. Besides time in rank we also had to do coarse in Military requirement and Rating coarse. Each one was for two Ranks. There was a Military Requirements test you had to pass also before you could take the rating exam. Although I never failed to pass it I hated that test. Your evaluations played the biggest part of whether you got promoted.