update

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Shaun, Oct 7, 2002.

1. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

Okay guys what has been the topic of discussion with the sniping incidents in the East -- I have my thoughts that they won't catch who ever is responible unless they want to be caught or they use counter sniper tactics to get in this guys head.

Also I love how they have automatically jumped to the conclusion that it could be an AR type rifle with .223 rounds -- they have said nothing about casings and also 22 caliber just means a general idea it could be a 22-250 , a 223 or even a 30 cal with a Sabot.

Of course the primary observation is that they have struck in the disarmed portion of the states so it makes me wonder if the rest of us are perfectly safe.

Catch you guys tomorrow evening

Shaun

2. wes

wes Guest

I've been following this too. Doesn't sound like he's made any mistakes. Haven't heard anyone say they heard a gunshot.

3. Observations on My Part

Howdy,

The shooter may have made one mistake, he didn't kill the last target.

And that is one mistake over and above the obvious being doing this to innocent people.

Also, you are correct, they have not said definately what the ammo was.

But yet there are the jack booted thugs at the ATF trotting out an AR-15, and M-16 and so on. There was one rifle the camera accidentally focused on for 1/2 second and that was a bolt action rifle.

What are/is the media gonna do if this guy is doing this with a plain ol, scoped out .22LR rifle? Or if it is a bolt action hunting rifle, perfectly legal in the lower 48?

The media, in my mind is an accomplice with the shooters in spreading terror and panic as well as he usual mis-information and anti gun rhetoric.:mad:

4. Well one more victim a 13 year old boy shot in the chest. It's on CNN as I type.

5. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

this will not go well for the shooting sports, don't know about, Federal level new laws, the the usual suspects will try something. but i believe the state level lawmakers, especially MD. will do something!!!!

6. WTF!?!?!?!?!

Howdy,

Okay, another one shot. Did anyone hear or see anything this time?? I find it hard to believe with the entire east coast on hightened alert that no one even hear a shot!

Unless this nut is skilled in covert assault. Maybe he has a silencer as well? Could it be another wackjob out of the military akin to those 3 that killed their wives?

I am more concerned for the victims and families right now than I am about the gun laws, however.....

We are in it deep this time fellas! I just pray this idiot/these idiots are caught and caught soon. I also pray they are not life members of the NRA or a State Militia.......
    :mad:

7. Doglips

Doglips Guest

I noticed at first they clled it an Assult OR Hunting rifle...I was glad they at least seperated the 2..course they were hold the AR as they said it...I also noticed a few days ago they said they were looking too talk to a "Milita" member who had mental problems....I over looked that no one head a shoot.....thats kinda strange since it would lead to one thinking not just useing a "sliencer" but also subsonic ammo....so this guy/guys gave some thought to his/her plan. From what I read the shoots have been made at around 150-200 yards...no idea how they determined that...so of course they talk about "Highly trained"...only problem with that is ALL Marines shoot at 500 yard and "snipers" shoot at 1000 yards to qualafy so 200 realy is kinda close. Lots of ???? like why this person is picking the people...dont seem to be a pattern....ie race..sex...occupation....in any case its the waccos like this person(s) that give Sara Brady and her frineds lots of press to talk about the eviles of guns....my only hope is that it turns out to be someone like Sara Bradys son or Rossie odonald so that it will come accross as a waced out anti gun type.

8. My Best Richard Nixon

"Now let me make one thing perfectly clear...."

I only mentioned no one hearing shots etc as they have never once said anything about that, or interviewing people who heard shots etc.....

Just seems strange that there is so few witnesses and no one gettin their 15 minutes of fame with the typical, "Yea, I was buyin some smokes and heard this here loud bang, dontcha know.".......

You are also right, 150-200 yards is a popcorn fart to a sniper, or someone with sniper qualifications. And maybe as they say the distance, they know much more than they are telling the media. In that case I say, smart move. But catch the SOB before he kills again!

9. BenP

BenP Guest

"Guns don't kill, a hard heart is what kills. Without you, the M-14 is useless." R. Lee Ermy as DI in "Full Metal Jacket" (watched it again this weekend, Oooh-Rah).

If this is what our government teaches new recruits, why hasn't the message got back to the people who are supposed to be in charge?

10. oneastrix

oneastrix G&G Newbie

I like the point made by Wes..."They are striking in the disarmed portion of the states..."

11. BenP

BenP Guest

I hate to be devil's advocate, but they get what they deserve.

12. I dont know what the laws are in Maryland, but I bet if something like this happened here, there would be 1/3rd of the population carrying a gun looking to take this SOB out.

13. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

okay after todays news I have to think that we may hear something soon since they recovered a bullet fragment from the unfortunate kid. The 200 yard thing could only be explained if we are talking asbout the use of an accelerator since they loose stability at long range. The next thing I have noticed is that all the shots are torso hits that says military training of some type. The 223 has an effective range of about 500 yards +/- and still remain lethal -- on the other hand if its a 30 its a 1000 yard capable round on a man. Now the questions that come to my mind is the randomness of the incidents and the victims. Then we have another issue he is showing he is good at what he does and this means he won't be caught unless he wants too be caught. What gets me is that the dem's are quiet -- I heard a tactic that once played on reverse psychology that could be used against us let a crime like this take place and even the lawful owners will want to see a resolution they mu\ight be using it to get at us law abiding shooters by saying that it will prevent this from happening in the future.

14. Heard the bang

Howdy,

Well, today was the first time I saw the, "I heard a loud bang" guy being interviewed.

There also seems to be a lot more info than the Police are releasing to the media, again I say BRAVO for that as these jackasses are on the air 24/7 really trying to stir things up and make a buck of a sicko with a gun. The Dems are strangely quiet, but you can bet they are laying in the weeds to grab their own gains from this.

15. dave375hh

dave375hh Guest

Any half way good varmint hunter could make the shots their talking about with ease. It dosen't point to an ex-military or LEO just because the shots were long. No one said it was a .223 that I'm aware of either, they just said a .22 cal bullet. That brings into play the 22-250 & .220 swift which will make bullet ID even more difficult. I think it's a guy tossed out of the military on a sec8 or bounced from the SEALs,Rangers,police etc. that wants to prove how good he is/was. In other words a real wacko, but not nessesarly a stupid one. He may never have gotten past the first intervieu,and it pissed him off.

16. BenP

BenP Guest

Actually, I think it's probably a couple of punk juvies. I grew up with kids in our school who were pretty good shots, had access to the right weapons, and were just irresponsible enough that I wouldn't have put it past them to take shots at people. I haven't heard anything yet that would lead me to believe that these shootings were extraordinary. 100-200 yards in an urban environment is incredibly far from the perspective of identifying shooter location, even without noise suppression. Who knows how long the perps had to prepare, scout out areas where their exposure would be limited, and have good means of egress without the likelihood of detection.

Nope, from a tactical stanpoint, this sounds like a fairly easy job. This could even be an initiation type event for some gang action. Hey, if they can get their hands on semi auto pistols and ak-47s, why not a mini 14 with a 4x scope, or even an NEF single shot with a scope, which would be cheap comparatively.

17. THE LOCAL PRESS....

....reported that several people at the school where the boy was shot heard the shot. The local press is also saying that the Police found " evidence" at the school shooting site. There have been over 4000 calls to several Police tip lines in the area. the Chief of Police for Montgomery County says that 1250 of them were "credible", I suppose a lot of neighbors are turning in there fellow neighbors if they think they have an AR-15.

The Chief for Montgomery County is heading the investigation for all the shootings. The FBI is cordinating the for the chief between the various jurisdictions.

A lot the the locals went from," I hope they catch the guy" and not really being very worried, to "I hope they kill the guy" and being very upset and a little worried after the boy was shot.

I can a test to one obvious difference as of late. There are NO cops on speed trap duty around here right now.

18. Shaun

Shaun G&G Evangelist

heard a retire military sniper on the news last night saying the shots could be muffled if the shooter was inside of the cargo van.

19. A LOCAL TV CHANNEL....

..... REPORTED LAST NIGHT THAT THE SHOOTER LEFT A DEATH CARD FROM A TARO (SP?) DECK. HE WROTE ON THE CARD "MR POLICEMAN, I AM GOD". CHIEF MOOSE WENT OFF THIS MORNING AT A PRESS CONFERENCE BLASTING CHANNEL 9 FOR RELEASING THE INFORMATION. A LOCAL RADIO STATION THEN INTERVIEWED THE NEWS DIRECTOR FOR CHANNEL 9. THE DIRECTOR POLITELY TOLD THE CHIEF TO GET STUFFED.

THERE HAVE BEEN OVER 7000 TIPS TO DATE. WITH THE POLICE DESCRIBING A LITTLE OVER 2000 OF THEM AS BEING CREDITABLE. THE CURRENT REWARD FOR THE SHOOTERS CAPTURE AND CONVICTION IS NOW AT $237,000.00.

THE FEDS ARE NOW TRYING TO TIE IN A SHOOTING OUTSIDE A LIQUOR STORE IN MID SEPTEMBER TO THIS SAME SHOOTER. HOWEVER BALLISTICS ARE INCONCLUSIVE.

MOST SCHOOLS IN THE AREA ARE STILL IN LOCK DOWN. NO OUTSIDE OR AFTER SCHOOL ACTIVITIES.

20. Charlie Moose, Hero of the day!

Howdy,

Didja all see Chief Moose rippin that idiot Katie Couric and all "Talking Heads" a new one this morning???

Katie was interviewing the Chief and they got into the info about the Tarot card etc....

Cheif Moose soundly refuted Katies usual pleas of "Doesn't the public have the "Right" to know," and saying by releasing all the information, maybe the public would be better able to help identify the shooter.

Cheif Moose replied along the lines of, The public has aked the local and federal Law Enforcement to investigate these crimes, not the media talking heads. He then asked The ever sickening Mrs. Couric, "Don't you think the best minds in the area and Federal Law enforcement are smart enough to know what they need help with and what they should release to the public?

He then chastised several media outlets and former police and profilers that have beem praddling on and calling this shooter names for possibly inciting this guy to go further, or become even more violent. He then reminded the ever quieting Couric, that they were playing with peoples lives by doing so.

She promptly tried to shift the topic then ended the interview.

Score one for Charlie Moose

Mrs Couric, youre still a boob!