Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven’t got out much for bunnies and birds this year. Brother got me out today. It was a nice day. We both missed on two cotton tails. But hey, they were pretty tough shots through the brush.
He used his 1938 A5 16ga and I took my Stevens 311 20 sxs. After the first couple misses in the thick stuff, both of us wished we had 12ga 1 1/4 oz 6’s with imp cyl choke.
IMG_5266.jpg
IMG_5264.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Gun and Game mobile app

·
Since 03-15- 2002
27,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to carry a vintage A-5 Sweet 16 makes a great day. I regret years ago trading my A-5 off in Ole El Paso, Texas. :(
Brothers is pre sweet 16 Jim. An oldie but a goodie. He’s thought about installing a 2 piece lifter. It also has the old suicide safety.

·
Premium Member
9,510 Posts
Jerry it looks nice out there. Perfect bunny habitat and snow for tracks. I like my 12 O/U for thick stuff. Makes me want to get out and do some rabbit hunting

·
Premium Member
5,289 Posts
Brothers is pre sweet 16 Jim. An oldie but a goodie. He’s thought about installing a 2 piece lifter. It also has the old suicide safety.

Sounds like the one dad gave me years. Awesome guns !!

·
Premium Member
9,510 Posts
Jerry I used to hunt with a bunch of guys for rabbit. Two guys raised rabbit hounds. Nothing like when the hounds started yelping and on the run. We all were spread out and stood still and they turned rabbit back to us. Most of these guys are gone now. Only memories. After we no longer used dogs then I would wear my canvass hunting pants with briar patching on the fronts. I would tromp and kick the briars and brush till we got one on the run

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I had a high school friend who had a dog that was a cross of a border collie and a greyhound; a very peculiar looking animal. It had never taken to training to differentiate animals but nevertheless it was a serviceable hunting dog. It would take after anything with fur. Once you caught up it was often a surprise at what it had scared up: opossum, raccoon, rabbit, squirrel, muskrat, and from time to time the dog would have an encounter with a skunk.

·
Premium Member
6,182 Posts
In Wyoming rabbit hunting is often done with a .22 or archery. It is an off season recreation. There are an abundance of
rabbits across the high plains.:)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts