Upland Bird hunting in Alaska/Canada

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by AllAlaskan, Sep 19, 2010.

1. I was just curios to see who all in here has experience in going after Grouse and Ptarmagin to be specific. I have done a good bit of bunny hunting and am familure with that but one that I havnt really gone to hard for was grouse and ptarmagin and was wondering aside from pine forests for spruce grouse what is some good habitat to go to for some stupid chickens? And Any other South Central Alaskans know of some good places in the Matsu Valley for either Spruce Grouse or Ptarmigan? I seen some this morning on the side of the highway when I was going out moose hunting and didnt think to bring my .22lr so I guess Tuesday when I go moose hunting again Im atleast packing the model 60 in the truck for some stupid chickens.

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Ptarmigan are usually in High brushy country this time of year...Spruce chickens are everywhere, and mostly around Berry Patches and gravel roads.

3. So do you think Hatcher pass would be a good place to go for some birds? this morning is the first time I have seen grouse out of all my moose outings is why I ask. Im just thinking after moose seasen is over I want to try going after em. I know early early is best when its good and crisp out to catch spruce hens on the roads. what about ptarmigin, are they best in the morning or will they hang out all day?

4. No one else hunts these buggers hu... :( lol

5. I use to shoot grouse in palmer, off of maud road, on cool sunny mornings you could get close enough to them on gravel roads to take them with BB guns.
    I think Hatcher Pass should be better for ptarmigin then grouse and the last time I was up there - the place was overrun with ground squirls and hoary marmots.

6. I havnt been up there in years but I remember there use to always be a butt load of ground squirrels up there. I dont know if they would be any good eating or not though, never tried em. I think here in a week or two I may have to take a little drive up there and see what I can get.

Where exactly is Maud road in palmer? Sounds familure but im not all that familure with the palmer area as well as I am biglake/houstan.

7. Maud road is a road off of the old glenn, it's paved for about a mile then turns into a gravel road ( or use to ) not sure what the stae has done with it in the past few years. when I hunted the area it was world class duck hunting and awesome trapping the first week of moose season it was a free fire zone and could get like the old west but after a week it was quiet again. has a couple lakes (mud and swan) and creeks that would take you back towards the matsue glacier. once you got back a few miles you were in bear country with some pretty good salmon fishing.

8. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I hunt mostly on FT Rich. If no area open that i prefer, then I find an open spot along the railroad for grouse and hare. Hatcher pass is good before the snow flies. Snow = Snow Machines !! The Bartlett Hills south of Talkeetna used to be real good years back as well.

9. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I got 2 Spruce Hens Friday out on the McCarthy Rd...I used the Marlin .17 HMR...2 shots, 2 kills !

10. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Load the family up.
    Take a drive to Anderson.

You can bag your limit in minutes!

11. I think next week im ganna take a drive up to Hatcher pass or talkeetna and see if i cant get into some. I plan on taking both the .22lr and the 12 guage. lol Funny after I chop my barrel down to 20 inches that now I may use it for birds after all, o well. If I can I would rather use the .22lr for head shots and save as much meat as possible but if not then I will try useing the shotgun.

I think I will try Maud road too. I just looked up Maud Road on google, did you hunt right off the side of the road or are there any fields that arnt privatly owned off the sides? I have been on maud before now I know where it is but only once and it was about 3 years ago so I dont remember it to well.

Anderson is to far to go just for grouse griz :p Maby for moose but im not driving that far for some birds lol.

And moose....what were you doing on the mcarthy road? lol you head out to mcarthy or did you just go out to bag some animals? That is one long, rough dirt road lol.

12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

You men make me green with envy>I am sitting here wiping tears out of my eyes.They won't even open a dove season here in Michigan.**** DO-GOODERS!

13. Why wont they open dove seasen there?

14. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

I went looking for Bear and spruce Hens...And I wanted to stop and visit a Hunting buddy of mine at Silver Lake before he left to fly outside..

15. grizcty

:laughing: Hey Charley,

Cant say I was NOT thinking about you!

Just came back from the out house.
    Heard some rustling noise.
    Went tp the ladies side, sure enough.
    There was a rough grouse!

16. you suck lol :p No ever since the Millers reach fire I havnt seen a grouse of any kind around here :( not in this area any way. Before the fire they use to be every where but since then I havnt seen them in the neighborhood. I took my wife to work yesterday and seen one on the side of Hollywood road lol, almost stopped but the car in front of me scared it and it flew off. Im thinking about going out down by the old Nike Missle base down KGB road to see if there are any back in there, had a guy tell me today he use to slay em back there...supposebly but the guy isnt the best source of info so he may have been full of crappola. But I figure only one way to find out.

17. grizcty

For grouse you can use a stick or sling shot.
    And save the bullets!

18. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

AA- What about rabbits up your way ??

19. Lots of rabbits, a couple years after the fire with all the fresh growth they went nuts lol. Therent arnt quite as many now but we still have alot.

We have more fox and some of the neighbors have even spotted a couple Lynx in the last month or two so I think thats why the rabbit population dropped some.

I also found a spot up burma that looked prime for rabbits so I will be checking that out pretty soon too.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  20. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

They love the darn things.The average life of a dove is 9mo,s (I really meant 9yrs) (or longer if I am shooting at him) but they think they live forever.I could go out right now and probably see from 40 to 100 on the powerlines.I emagine they never had any baked in the oven breast up with bacon strips on them.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010