Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've got a Colt Sporter Target. Plain-Jane 20" Gov't Profile Barrel, etc. I want to get a scope for it, but don't want all the trouble of mounting a scope on a carry handle.

So this is what I want:

A3 Upper
5.56NATO Chamber
20â€￾ Stainless HBAR barrel
Post-Ban Config
Flat Gas Break
Flip-up front and rear sights
Quad-rail Handguard & covers
Harris Bi-pod
Leupold MK4 3.5-10x36mm (Matte Finish, Duplex Reticle)

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
Does your Colt have the larger pins? At what distances will you be shooting at? Past 300 yards? And will this rifle be just for fun, hunting?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Large Pins... um I don't know what you mean by PINS.

I just like the look of it. This would be for within 300yds and for mostly fun. I'd try to take a Jackrabbit or two with it, but nothing bigger than a coyote.

I have my Ruger 10/22 for Prarie Dogs, Rabbits, and Ground Squirrels; eventually a TC Encore in 22-250 for larger game, coyote, bobcat, etc.

For now, I'm gunna throw a 3-9x40mm or a fixed 4x40mm. I figure a scoped AR is better than a .22 at 300yds.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
There are 2 different pins that people talk about when discussing Colt pin sizes. One is the front take down pin, the other is the trigger/hammer pin.
Old Colt rifles have a large front take down pin. These models have the standard .150 trigger/hammer pins. Newer Colt rifles have a standard front take down pin, but their trigger/hammer pins are a non-standard .170. Neither Colt is 100% compatible with any AR. Either you have a large take down pin, or you have large hammer/trigger pins.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmm. than I guess I'm screwed aren't I? Well, I didn't REALLY like the Idea of having half a colt and half a bushmaster/rockriver etc. Might as well spend the extra money and get a lower by the same company. Or if I can afford it, just get the Bushmaster Varminter Special, or something like that.

·
Banned
3,876 Posts
If it were me, I'd just build a standard 20" A3, put a 2 piece railed hanguard on it with a bipod. Then throw a Super Sniper scope on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts