close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

US Rifle Cal .30 Model of 1917 Eddystone

Discussion in 'Curios and Relics' started by TheJoker, May 9, 2012.

1. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

After playing tag with a FedEx delivery guy for a couple of days, my Eddystone Model of 1917 from the CMP was delivered today.

Although I mainly collect WWII rifles, the M1917 has been on my wish list for a while. My grandfather, Conley Stephens carried one of these in WWI. He was wounded by shrapnel and then poison gas in The Meuse-Argonne offensive during the Fall of 1918.

I found the rifle in the 'rack grade' section where most of the rifles either failed headspacing or had shot out barrels. It was marked 'headspace okay' and 'MW +1'. Although the barrel was very, very dirty, I could see faint rifling. The price was $400.

This must have been one of the many M1917s they refurbished during WWII because it has an undated High Standard barrel. I am assuming that the cartouche, 3 GM - K in a rectangular box will indicate where and approximately when the refurb occurred. It must have also served in an American Legion Color Guard because "Am Leg" is painted on the left hand side of the butt stock.

I'm anxious to get the barrel scrubbed out and bet an idea of the condition of the rifling.

I will get her cleaned up, take some pictures and post them later.

2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Sounds like you probably did ok. Come on pictures. Hope that barrel cleans up ok.

If I remember correctly, it seems that my dad said the WWII Marines he was with trained with the M1917 and the 1903 and 1903A3 Springfields and didn't get their Garands till they were in New Zealand before going to Guadalcanal. The Army probably had the Garands sooner than the Marines did.

3. TheJoker

I've been doing a little research...apparently, the cartouche, 3 GM - K in a rectangular box, is a big mystery. I love a good mystery!

I did find out that it was manufactured in October of 1918.

4. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Evangelist

One heavy battle rifle. Love shooting mine. Just the feel of the rifle makes you wonder and imagine where its been.

5. TheJoker

Well after a little scrubbing and lots of patches, the barrel isn't too bad. There is some frosting in the barrel; but, the lands and grooves are sharp. I have never seen so much crud which(...I guess) represents 20 plus years of firing blanks without being cleaned.

I'm happy! It'll make a great shooter!

Sorry, the pictures aren't the best...better than no pictures. Right?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    "HS" and flaming bomb on the barrel...

[​IMG]
    "Am Leg" in black paint on the left side of the stock...

[​IMG]
    And the mysterious 3 GM-K cartouche...I did find at least one fella that claims it is General Motors Guide Lamp Division which was given a contract to refurbish 45,000 rifles during WWII.

Maybe this isn't the first time the rifle has visited Indiana. Hmmmm.

Last edited: May 9, 2012
  6. chesterwin

chesterwin Moderator Staff Member

It must be a fake. Wanna sell it cheap? LoL! Good score feller!

7. TheJoker

I hurried home from work today, gathered up a couple of rifles and headed out to the range. I've been itching to try out the new model of 1917.

I thought it would be fun to shoot the M1917 side by side with my Smith Corona 1903A3. All the time, I'm sure the "Springfield" would be beaten the "American Enfield" challenger.
    [​IMG]

Some better pictures before the show down:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I only got one shot with the M1917. The first round wouldn't extract so I put it up.
    [​IMG]

I put 15 rounds down range with the 1903A3. Shooting off hand but steadying with the sling, I managed a decent(...for me) 5 inch group at 80 yards. So, I guess the 1903A3 won the competition.

Then it occurred to me that both rifles were Mauser clones and I compared the bolts. I think I found the problem. The end of the extractor is broken off on the M1917. I think I read somewhere where this was a problem with the extractors on these rifles.
    [​IMG]

Am I right?

I'm a little disappointed that the CMP armorer missed this; but, I guess I should have caught it too. It is pretty obvious when you compare it to another Mauseresque bolt. When I bought it, I was more concerned with the headspace and the bore.

So, I've got a couple of questions for our resident experts. Can I just buy a replacement from Numrich? And does replacing the extractor affect the headspace??

8. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

it certainly looks like you need a new extractor. by the way, the common problem with these rifles was the ejector spring breaking.

9. ChaZam

I still think you did ok....

10. chesterwin

Just replace the extractor. If it makes you feel better, the extractor spring too.

11. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

there is no extractor spring!

12. ChaZam

13. chesterwin

I stand corrected. I have a missing stepson and dog. Stress is a bit high right now. The 15 year old tried the pillow trick and let the dog out in the process.

14. TheJoker

Thanks, ChaZam...that's about $5 less than Numrich's price!

15. TheJoker

I ended up buying the part from Numrich. Sarco had a $20 minimum. At Sarco the part was $19.95....arrggghhh!!!

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  16. Capt.Hotpants

Capt.Hotpants G&G Enthusiast

There are a lot of Model 1917s around here, all in decent shape like yours. Sadly everyone wants what a mint 1903 goes for and I am not prepared to pay that much money. Some day though I will get one as it's such an impressive and well built rifle. For now though my 1903 with have to keep my 30-06 cravings in control.

Sucks about the extractor but at least they can still be easily replaced. Looks like you did pretty well!

17. PBradford

PBradford G&G Newbie

Thought I had a Weatherby but ended up a 1917 Eddystone

I've been researching the Weatherby to see what history was behind this old rifle and finally took the hotshoe? (placeholder for scope) and read the rest of the story.

I looked up the Eddystone in Wikipedia. Now, I'm just here reading more about it in this forum. Wondering about the stock right now. It has cross-hatching marks and a cheek piece on the side of the butt with a Weatherby recoil pad. Also wondering if the serial number will give me more information. Checking now.

18. TheJoker

It sounds like it was sporterized. Many Model of 1917 rifles were released to the civilian market. I've shopped them for a while. It is easier to find a sporter than one in original condition.

Here is a resource to determine manufacture date:

http://www.odcmp.org/503/rifle.pdf

19. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Evangelist

Would it have been 5 dollars less with my Numrich C&R holder discount?

20. TheJoker

Eddystone Update

I installed my extractor and took the Eddystone out Monday(...along with a M1 and a M1903A3) for another test fire.

The cartridge now extracts; but, it doesn't eject. It looks to me like the ejector pin doesn't extend far enough into the slot on the bolt to hit the back of the cartridge. I'm guessing it is a weak or broken extractor spring which was a common problem. I'll take it apart later to confirm.

Numrich lists two types or replacement ejectors. The older one with a leaf spring and a later upgrade that has a small coil spring. I'm guessing I should go with the newer model.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted