Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I'd like to buy a .357 Mag revolver, and my usual gunsmith has three used ones for good prices. Which one would be the best choice? Reliabiliy, accuracy… and of course, can I hope to find spare parts in the future?

These three guns are:

a Dan Wesson 4" (an old one, before the CZ's time!)
an Astra 4"
and a Ruger Security Six, 4"

What do you think of them?

Regards

Jonas

·
Registered
17,218 Posts
I'd recommend the Ruger .357 Mag Security Six, Stainless Steel, 4" revolver. It's rigid, parts should be available (Never have needed any additional parts), and a tried and proven revolver for many years. I would guess one would be available in the USA for around $375 +/-.

Of course, it will also fire 38 special rounds if you want a lighter load for some occasions.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd recommend the Ruger .357 Mag Security Six, Stainless Steel, 4" revolver. It's rigid, parts should be available (Never have needed any additional parts), and a tried and proven revolver for many years. I would guess one would be available in the USA for around $375 +/-.
Of course, it will also fire 38 special rounds if you want a lighter load for some occasions.
The one I found is only 395.- CHF, that is about $315!!! Good bargain!

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
Wesson if you got the money, Ruger if you don't. Me say no to Astra also.

·
Premium Member
1,697 Posts
I just bought a Dan Wesson .357 4", and had a chance to take it out shooting yesterday for the first real check. It;s the most accurate handgun I've ever fired.

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I just bought a Dan Wesson .357 4", and had a chance to take it out shooting yesterday for the first real check. It;s the most accurate handgun I've ever fired.
Ah, if I only could have afforded one in my younger years. Instead it was almost 20 years ago I bought my first big bore revolver. Since times were tough then, the only one I could afford was a Taurus 66 with a 6" barrel. The funny thing is, 20 years and many guns later, it is still the gun I am most accurate with.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think I'll buy a Ruger!!!

But I still have an additionnal question: which is the ideal barrel length for a .357?

Aesthetically, I'd say 4"! And I think the too long barrels (6", 6 1/2"…) must be too heavy… But what about the shorter ones (3", or even shorter)? Are they still accurate? Is it still nice to shoot with them?

I'm really interested in the Ruger Security Six (4"), but if it's already sold, there's still a SP 101(2 1/4") and a Speed Six (3")… Is it also a good choice?

And in 3", there's also a S&W Lady Smith… Yes, it's a little bit more expensive… 695.- CHF (= $555) vs 395.- CHF (= $315) for the Rugers… but it's beautiful, with its wood grips! I'm not a woman, I'm not particularly small (6 feet) nor feminine, but I have short fingers… so a Lady Smith could be a good idea…

What do you think?

·
Registered
36,568 Posts
I think I'll buy a Ruger!!!

But I still have an additionnal question: which is the ideal barrel length for a .357?

Aesthetically, I'd say 4"! And I think the too long barrels (6", 6 1/2"…) must be too heavy… But what about the shorter ones (3", or even shorter)? Are they still accurate? Is it still nice to shoot with them?
I have had no problems with my 6" barreled .357. I've never had a problem with any 6" .357 if it was balanced OK. But the ideal barrel length depends on what it's primary use is for. If it's a carry piece I would go 3 or 4 inches. I think that any shorter barreled ones would cause many misses at what you're shooting at due to such a short sighting radius. If it is for a target pistol I would say 6" barrel is almost a minimum, though I have seen one really good 4". (Dan Wesson, but he had three barrels, a 3', 4', and 6' I believe)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts