Used Revolver, What to Look For?

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by 9mmXDm, Sep 4, 2010.

1. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

Going to look at a used revolver. What should I look out for?

Make: Rossi
    Model: 971 REV-D SS 6"
    Caliber: .357Mag

Thanks

2. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

You should look for A better revolver....

3. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

If I wanted to look for another revolver I would have asked about another revolver.

Honestly people stay on topic here. I'm talking about one revolver and one only. The one I mentioned in the first post. So if you can't stay on topic then please stay out of the thread and if you can't then just don't reply.

Thanks

4. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

I don't know anything about Rossi revolvers so I won't reply. If I was going to reply I would say you look out for the same things on a Rossi as you would on any other revolver.

5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

Most people would ask Why.?
    Taurus/Rossi....Check all SA Firearms !

Watch for loose Cylinder with excessive play, side to side, and front to back.
    Feel the action for smooth or rough feeling.
    look for loose pins /oblong holes.
    check forcing cone for cracks.
    check the barrel closely
    check for Firing pin tip not mushroomed or chipped.
    Check for Loose Sights

6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Revolver Checkout Procedure ,,,sam.

7. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

If I had questions about any gun, I would see if I could take it a gunsmith like Mooseman before committing to the purchase. If it's from a shop or a private individual rather than at a show, they should be willing to hold a refundable deposit while you got the gun checked out. Get it writing that you can bring it back if the 'smith says it has problems.

Moose listed the common things to look for, but trained eyes, ears, and hands are a lot better at spotting things than yours or mine.

8. Cock it and push forward on the hammer and make sure it doesn't drop. Was looking at a S&W 38 special one day that someone had done a trigger job on and the trigger was really light. Cocked it and pushed forward on the hammer and it dropped without my finger being on the trigger.

9. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

i found a matched set of peacekeeper replicas that had the same problem.
    i bought em cheap and put all new springs etc. in them.
    those are nice guns now.

10. +20

That has everything you need to look for. With a Rossi the cylinder play and gap aren't going to be as great as a S&W, but for all practical purposes they should be good enough. I would compare the used Rossi to a new Rossi and make my comparisons from there.

11. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

New York
    Something else you want to look at is the amount of finish left on the rear of the cylinder. The more bluing is there (most of the revolvers I've dealt with are blued, so that's the context I can use to explain this), the less the pistol has been fired. This in turn gives you some guidance on the overall condition of the bore and barrel rifling you may expect. Revolvers that have been fired a lot will have all the blue worn off and may even have the metal worn down enough you can feel it when you run your fingernail across the rear of the cylinder.

Look also for accumulated gunk on the front of the cylinder and the outside of the forcing cone. If there is a lot of it, it can indicate the pistol has been fired a great deal. It may also indicate the pistol has not been properly cared for.

Compared to the solid information in sam's Revolver Checkout Procedure link, what I am mentioning is comparatively unimportant. However, I've found it to be reliable guidance to the general condition of revolvers over the years.

12. john2393

john2393 G&G Newbie

good advice. Saves me the text time. Yeah the bigggest wer/tear items on a revolver is sloppy play in the cylinder when its closed, and firing pin damage on the old styles where the pin was mounted to the hammer. But a rossi? They're pretty cheap, I think taurus and them are in cohoots. And this is MY personal pet peeve, if its filthy dirty, and looks poorly kept, DO NOT pay asking price. You can see any gun I have owned, own, or have sold, they're all range-ready g.I. clean. Dirty guns are like dirty women. Fun, sure but they may get you killed.

13. dgray64

dgray64 G&G Newbie

Fear not. I have a Rossi in .38 Spc that is rated for +p and it does great. Just check it over like others advised, but don't worry about the name as they seem pretty darn reliable.

Dave

14. john2393

john2393 G&G Newbie

Oh totally agree. It would take some really crummy, hack, manufacturing to screw up a revolver. Mostly with the used ones just check for wear, and upkeep. Initially though, revolvers are (this may upset some 1911 or high power enthusiests but sorry, its my experince only) anyway.... revolvers are 1) incredibly durable, and 2) incredibly reliable.

That's why I sold my 1911 and bought a revolver. You have to take into consideration the extra weight, and lack of capacity, but get a couple speedloaders/moonclips,and you"ll have enough rouns for civilian problems.

But Rossi is a good gun. As good as any other, and is you get a good deal, grab it. You can always sell it later or trade it in and get your money back, or at least most of it, aspecially on a magnum. .38 spl aren't as easy to selll, but .357 mags are pretty popular and easy to sell.

Either way good luck. And most of all, enjoy it.

15. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

I ended up not going to even look at it. I knew if I did I would have bought it. So I just didn't go.