Vacationing in California with a handgun?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by stitchclimber, May 24, 2008.

1. I'm going to be heading through hell, ahem, I mean kalifornia for a few days and i was wondering about the laws concerning bringing a handgun into the state.

I'm aware that I will not have open or concealed carry privileges in the state, but I'd still like to have it in my hotel room, campsite, trunk of the car, just in case.

Does Kalifornia law allow for me to bring a handgun in state? If so are there capacity or brand restrictions?

2. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

Pretty sure you're screwed unless it's unloaded and cased, but you should check here to see if there's some other way: Handgunlaw.us

3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I think you're asking for trouble!

4. rdale501

rdale501 G&G Newbie

My brother lives in Calif. he told me the gun has to be stored in a different compartment than the ammo while traveling. That means one must be in the trunk and the other in the passenger compartment. Stupid law if you ask me, it just makes your weapon usless for your protection.

5. not happening, just take it and dont tell anyone, its a lawless land anyhow

(im kidding completely)

6. Well as long as its separated I think I should be fine while in the car.

But as far as having a non-registered handgun in the state of Kali will I run into any problems? Can I bring a semi auto with a high cap mag into the state?

7. Turbo

Turbo G&G Newbie

You're boned. Stay out of Cali.

In all seriousness I am not sure. I got a few LEO buddies there, let me shoot em an email and I will get back to you.

8. Thanks turbo... I hate Cali, but I'm destined to drive through there... I really hate to stay anywhere without my gun... I went to Canada a few weeks ago, and it nearly killed me to leave my piece behind.

9. Turbo

Turbo G&G Newbie

Ok I talked to a few of my LEO buddies in Cali. They all said the same thing. You can bring it, but unless you are in the process of firing it, or on a range, it has to be unloaded and in a locked container. Your trunk is a locked container, your glove box is not. The plastic case it came in with a padlock will also work.

10. Not sayin what is posted on this thread is wrong or anything but I believe your best option are to leave it behind or check with the State police on this subject!

11. Thanks guys. In my trunk, ammo separate.