close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Vacuum won't start

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by DaTeacha, Jan 9, 2017.

1. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

when Matthew was younger he brought home a Eureka Altima Bagless Cyclonic vacuum that someone was throwing out because they didn't know what was wrong with it, so he brought it home for me to look at. It turns out the beater brush was full of crap and someone had been trying to vacuum up crap they shouldn't have been vacuuming up and plugged up the hose. After 5 to 10 min of cleaning it up it ran fine. That thing was a great vacuum. Now I've got a Eureka "The Boss" widetrack & it works awesome.

Last summer a vacuum cleaner sales crew was moving through my neighborhood trying to sell they're way overpriced expensive azz vacuum. The day before I had cleaned out my Eureka and put a new belt on it so I put it up against their Electrolux or whatever it was in a head-to-head test, needless to say they were shocked when their overpriced vacuum couldn't do any better than what my Eureka did.

Palladin8 likes this.
  2. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

Awhile back my wife told me that her friend and husband were coming over and I needed to sit through a vacuum demo. Her friend's husband had lost his job and was trying to make money selling vacuums. He brought in this huge new box that contained a Rainbow vacuum and a bunch of attachments. We sat through the whole demo and then he asked if I was ready to buy. I ask how much and when he said $3,000 I about fell out of my chair. No way no how I'm spending that kind of money on a vacuum or any other household cleaning device.

TXplt and gsbuickman like this.

3. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

And if you go for the vac, they have expensive kitchen knives for you and then super no stick pans, and if your wallet is still flappin' they try to sell you an encyclopedia set!

TXplt likes this.
  4. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Evangelist

Exactly, I don't care if it's a Kirby, an Electrolux, a rainbow or any other outrageously overpriced vacuum, they're just not worth it. Yes, they may do a good job but the main thing they focus on is their massive suction power. What people don't realize is that they're far too powerful. They do more than just clean carpets, they actually pull fibers from the carpets and break up the weave as well as tear apart the carpet padding under it, eventually causing the padding to collapse.

I bought the Eureka that I have now from Goodwill a couple summers ago for $15 to replace another Eureka vacuum that I had been using for a couple years before it died. This is the 4th or 5th Eureka that I/we have had, and IMO they're the best vacuum out there compared to Dirt Devil, Hoover, bissel & the rest of the big box brands.

My used $15 Eureka ($140 new) will do everything that outrageously expensive Kirby will do, but it won't pull the carpet padding apart or pull the carpet weave loose. when it eventually dies, so what, it was $15 well worth it and I'll just get another one.

TXplt and Palladin8 like this.
  5. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Yup.

I don't mind spending money on quality stuff if it's really good, or a critical component. But a vacuum cleaner is hardly a critical component and even some of the lesser expensive ones last a pretty long time and do a decent job. Maybe IF you're job is cleaning (and it gets heavy use) some type of industrial vacuum is in order (tough to see how it'd be THAT much). But if ours breaks we toss it and someday my wife gets a new one lol.

Now, I WILL spend the money and put a Trijicon RMR on a pistol build but it gets knocked around and I've gone through several different sights to know who has bang for buck and who has quality stuff (and it's a primary/stand alone optic). It needs to work and has. There are probably cheaper options but I've been pretty happy with them.

gsbuickman likes this.
  6. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

My wife vacuums almost every day. At the very minimum 5 times a week. We go through vacuums yearly. Either the plastic dirt container breaks from her taking it out to empty all the time or some other component breaks that costs as much as buying a new vacuum. One time I went and spent $300 something on what was supposed to be a higher end model. It didn't work any better nor did it last any longer than the models that I have bought for $100-$150.

She just told me last night that the current one is not sealing right when she tries to put the container back in. She is seeing a little dust come out around the gasket. I'll be replacing it within the next few weeks i'm sure.