Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for the value of a Savage cap & ball muzzle load pistol that was probably made between 1855 and 1870. The serial # is 9954.
I am doing this search for friend that owns the gun and is not work with computers and the internet. I do not know where to start looking to find the value of this pistol. Can any one help me get started on my search? Thanks Mike233

·
Registered
741 Posts
The Savage Arms Corp. we know and love today was etablished in 1894. The first Savage was an 1895 cartridge rifle.

There were at least two manufacturers of earlier cap and ball guns that had "Savage" in their names. If your friend's gun was made by one of these, it is quite rare, and possibly valuable. I suggest you consult a qualified appraiser of antique firearms. Prepare to pay for the service.

Is it a revolver?

·
Registered
15,235 Posts
Looking in the bluebook it states:please refer to the 'Bluebook of Blackpowder Arms,which is supposed to be online.Maybe there is something in there. sam.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My friend says it is a six shooter. I have not seen it at this time. I will soon.
I looked for 'Blue Book of Blackpowder Arms' and found the official website. Thanks. I will continue looking there. I will let you two, rfc357 and Samuel, know what I find out. Mike233

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Your Buddy has a valuable gun. If nothing else he needs to pay for a written appraisal for insurance purposes. BTW, let the appraiser know up front that he can't buy the gun.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts