Gun and Game Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would this gun be valued at with paperwork from when my grandfather purchased it. I have it for auction so we shall see if it sell for what I'm asking. Just getting some opinions of ones who own them.

Attachments

·
God, Guns, Glory
34,703 Posts
Those are my kind of firearms in that gun cabinet.
Beautiful, with no plastic/synthetic parts.
All metal with wood furniture on those rifles. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My grandparents had a love for them Some were well loved and used to provide food such as the 2 Winchester model 10 shot guns. One was great grandpa's the other was my granddad's. Then my great grandfather's beloved cowboy gun. The colt WCF 38-40 and old smith and wesson gun. Those all need some TLC. The rest look new.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My grandparents had a love for them Some were well loved and used to provide food such as the 2 Winchester model 10 shot guns. One was great grandpa's the other was my granddad's. Then my great grandfather's beloved cowboy gun. The colt WCF 38-40 and old smith and wesson gun. Those all need some TLC. The rest look new.
He had a stunning Colt 1911, but it has been sold. I got a lot for that piece. The Remington A4 we are keeping for our son. Its valued at 6 to 8k with paperwork and condition.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,364 Posts
The last time I saw a Springfield at the gun shop in NRA Surplus Excellent at the gun shop, it was going for $1200 with no papers. It's a World War II production gun, if memory serves.

Reactions: jwrauch

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
What would this gun be valued at with paperwork from when my grandfather purchased it. I have it for auction so we shall see if it sell for what I'm asking. Just getting some opinions of ones who own them.
I have a Remington with paperwork from when my father bought it from Raritan arsenal in the 60's through whatever it was back then CMP, or something, i don't remember. Have booklet too that came with it. A Smith Corona is rarer than my Remington made one. With the photo's you posted i'd guess at 900-1100, if correct grooved barrel, (6- groove), and proper cartouches, and original papers. Could fetch more with serious collectors at the right time and place. From your photo's if i bought that gun for 800, i'd feel a got a great deal.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
34,364 Posts
PS Welcome to G&G from UPSTATE NY
Or as I put it, Welcome to the Forum from the Peoples Democratic Republic of New York.

We'd like it if you'd stick around. ncnascarlady and Mindy Up North could use some more help keeping the site civilized!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a Remington with paperwork from when my father bought it from Raritan arsenal in the 60's through whatever it was back then CMP, or something, i don't remember. Have booklet too that came with it. A Smith Corona is rarer than my Remington made one. With the photo's you posted i'd guess at 900-1100, if correct grooved barrel, (6- groove), and proper cartouches, and original papers. Could fetch more with serious collectors at the right time and place. From your photo's if i bought that gun for 800, i'd feel a got a great deal.
I also have a Remington 1903A4. It was sold without the scope, but someone who bought some guns sold me a fine piece for it. I was told it would bring 6 to 8k so I'm keeping it to give to my son when he gets my age. Hoping it will be worth a lot more then.

·
Registered
11,275 Posts
I think Bigfoot is about right on with the valuation.
I gave 700$ for my Winchester made o3A3.
gave 750$ for the also win. marked 1917.
that was 4-5 years back.

kills me,, as I balked at paying $300 for the same type guns not too long ago.

·
Premium Member
5,402 Posts
Welcome to G&G. Nice guns.

Reactions: rando

·
Registered
152 Posts
I would have to agree with the numbers posted here ($1200 or so). Your rifle appears to be in excellent, perhaps un-issued condition. If the bore is bright and shiny all the better. The paperwork shown in your post looks like the paperwork that came with the 03-A3's my Dad purchased from the DCM (Director of Civilian Marksmanship) around 1962 +/-. The cost of those rifles to civilians then was $17.00 delivered... No typo there. That was a time when some people in our government thought marksmanship skills were a good thing for the citizens to know. So sad that appears to be changing. Make sure you keep the bore clean and lubed. Remove the bolt and bore cleaning is to be done from the breech end in case you didn't know. If you don't know how to remove the bolt, ASK. It is very easy. The "Springfield Rifle" as they are known was the first centerfire rifle I fired at the Lyman range (Blue Trail) in Wallingford, Ct in the summer of 1963, I was 9 yrs. old. They are kind of special to me. Nice rifle you have there...

·
Registered
5,275 Posts
Sounds like a very nice piece. Agree with above and I know Rando knows his stuff concerning milsurps. These vintage military surplus rifles seem to be hot with collectors and the prices often paid bear this out. Welcome aboard.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts