Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was telling a bud about my desire to look at a Weatherby Vanguard possibly in 308 (?). He went into a 10 minute tirade about the Vanguard being a POS.

I was surprised as I have always held the belief that the Weatherby was a premium rifle. My local gun store is running a sale on several Weatherby Vanguard model.

I have never fired or held a Vanguard.

Opinions please.

Thanks

Doc:34:

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
the vanguard, is actually a Howa rifle. not a bad rifle, but not a great one either. savage is ok, the 20 cent plastic stock is junk, and im no fan of the accutrigger, but they are generally pretty accurate. your money, your choice.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
As lefty said, Weatherby contracts with Howa to produce the barreled actions for the Vanguards. Both guns are pretty good shooters right out of the box. One of the advantages of the Savage is that they are easily re-barreled to different calibers and you can adjust the headspace on them with no expensive machine work. You can get higher grade stocks for both and the Vanguard is offered in a Sub-MOA model as well. I like the fact that the Savage is made in the U.S. but the Vanguard has a bit nicer stock and recoil pad.

·
Registered
11,922 Posts
Vanguard will have smoother feeding, more reliable extraction, and a right side thumb safety.
Savage will have more inherent accuracy and possibly an accutrigger.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I shoot both, and for the money, you really can't go wrong with either. Both have their advantages. The Weatherby has a better stock, and IMO, a smoother bolt. The Savage has the accutrigger, although my weatherby rifles trigger's all bust like glass. I would feel equally safe buying either. Your friend is mistaken, and at a sale price, I would buy the vanguard.

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
Have you thought about a New Ruger Haweye ? I have'nt even shot mine yet, but the new LC6 trigger will startle you because the trigger breaks so crisp and perfect.
Plus ruger manufactures there own hammer fordged barrels now.

·
Registered
659 Posts
My son shoots a Vanguard in .300 Wby. He got 15 shots inside the diameter of a quarter at 100 yards off of a rickety benchseat at the public range in the Ocala National Forest (Florida) with Federal/Nosler Solid Base 180's (the stuff Midway sold on sale last Christmas for $16/box of 20). It's not premium ammo by any stretch. The Vanguard feeds smoothly, extracts well and doesn't have the excessive rattle Howa is known to have. The trigger is crisp with no creep or over travel.

I owned a Howa in .30-06 and rattled like a 3-legged mule on crack, but it gave me .25" groups with 200 gr and 165 gr Nosler Partitions. For that, I can walk a little more stealthily through the woods.....Wait, never mind. I can't. The ex got my Howa....ooops!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts