VAR barrels

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by willys, Mar 15, 2002.

1. willys

willys G&G Newbie

TEXAS
    I have a CMP Garand. with a VAR barrel.
    are these barrels any good, mine seems to be new, or close to it.

2. wes

wes G&G Newbie

VAR are Danish, VERY good barrels.

3. garand fan

garand fan G&G Newbie

VAR barrels are excellant,most that come from the CMP are near new. The danes knew how to make a barrel

4. Dvmmatt

Dvmmatt G&G Newbie

My dane has a VAR barrel and it is basicly "brand new." It is a great shooter.

5. willys

willys G&G Newbie

TEXAS
    Just fired my Garand. thanks for the info, you are right.
    At 300 yards it was nailing the target.

6. No need to worry 'bout VARs. They're as good as they come. What's the date on yours? :)

7. willys

willys G&G Newbie

TEXAS
    the date is 11-66.

8. Well Willys, yours is a late '66 which shouldn't surprise you a whole lot. Hang on to it, and here's a hint: Don't use a cleaning rod, it'll eventually ruin your muzzle crown. Use a cleaning chain like the one we issued for the G3, or, even better, get an old dipstick from a car, or a similar piece of flexible metal, pull some plastic material over it, like the shrinking type used in electronics, and braze a length of suitable thread on the business end to accept the wire brush, that way you can clean her out from the chamber end with no damage to the lands.
    Happy shooting!

9. Do they cut the barrel to get a better crown

I have a parts kit VAR barrel, the T / E is 2 and the M / E is over 3.
    I am wondering if they take 1/4" or so off the tip of the barrel and crown it properly if the M/E will improve.
    I would think yes, but would like to know before I pay for it done.

10. Sorry Shaddownone, I never served with your Army, and your M/E and T/E figures don't tell me a whole lot. Why not just ask one of them old time gunplumbers floating around freely in these forums. You're bound to get a bundle, and if you add them up, and find the average opinion, you've got something to act upon.

11. Leif, you don't have to make a pull through cleaning kit, there is already a good one on the market. Clean your Garand from the breech end with a "BoreSnake"! They cost around $15.00 and are great for cleaning at the range(or at home ;) .

12. Thanks WildBill, I keep that in mind if I ever go to the States again, and stay there long enough to get me an M1.