Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have a few questions for you SKS nuts in here. For the record, I have a Norinco SKS, with a milled reciever. So, I am somewhat familiar with the SKS. Now on to the questions.

1. I am thinking about buying another SKS. I am thinking about a Russian, or a Yugo. I want the Russian because it's the cream-of-the-crop, excelent build quality/accuracy. I also like the history of it (Cold War). The price is something I dislike though. Roughly around $200-375 around here. You have to like the fact the guns the "Reds" once used to have, are in our hands now.

I like the Yugo for a couple of reasons. I like the night sights(dead by now I am sure), grenade launcher/sight, and that huge bayonet. I know they are growing in popularity, but they are still something different. The price is fair too, about $125-200 from what I see.

Any suggestions on other pros/cons, or what I should do?

2. I see "paratrooper" SKS's every once in a great while. If I remember right, they have shorter barrels/bayonets, and take AK mags. I hope I am not confusing two guns in one:confused: . Are these any good? I have heard that these were comercial made rifles, like M-1 tankers. I haven't seen one in probably a year, but I have been thinking about them lately. Am I right in thinking this is called an SKS-D? Or does that just mean it can take AK mags?I think all of the ones I have seen, were Norincos.

3. Ok, Russian, Yugo, etc. SKS's were made for the militarys of those countries, right? What about the Chinese? Norinco made a lot of SKS's. Were all those for comercial purposes, or were those for the military? Or is there another company in China that made military SKS's?

I think that is it for now... Just some questions to keep this forum busy... Boy, I better start buying 7.62X39 now because I am also thinking about picking up an AK.... Thanks guys.

· Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the responses. I think the hunt is now on for a nice Yugo. I really like/want a Yugo, and I think I can ignore the aura of the Russian. I remember hearing that Yugos should be bought un-issued because of bad bores/barrels. I think that is what I would buy anyway, because it's not a lot more money versus an issued one.

G3, I would be looking for more of a military specimen. All though, your SKS carbine idea from not too long ago is still a great idea (that pops up in my head when it's a slow day at work). I think if I would buy another SKS, the only thing I MIGHT do to it would be putting a scope on it (I mean, it already has a bayonet and grenade laucher, not much left to add :)).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.