Varmint Bullets?

Discussion in 'General Reloading' started by Browning, Aug 20, 2010.

1. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

What is your go to bullet for Coyote sized game and good accuracy?

2. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

Hornady makes the V-max which I really like, but we need to know what gun/caliber you are talkin about here.

3. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Hornady VMax.I use 40gr from 2800fps in a hornet to 4200+ in a .220Swift.The 50/55gr is great and has a little better ballistics but the 40 is less likely to completely penetrate causing big holes in pelts.Nosler BT,s are just as accurate but not quite as frangible.I like and have used them tho.I tried about everything else and VMax is my choice. ,,,sam.

4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    vmax, and speer tnt.

5. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

I'll be useing a .243, 338Rum. But I'm looking for all around performance feed back here. Thanks to those who have posted so far.

6. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

In that case a 87 gr V-max going 3100 FPS is in order for your 243!

7. 330olds

330olds G&G Newbie

I really like the barnes varmint grenade bullets.Accurate and very frangible.

8. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

with a powder core they better be explosive! I have found they are not very accurate in my guns, mostly my rifles like the mid range to heavy for caliber bullets

9. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

I take it from those numbers that the VMax is not one likely to blow up prior to hitting the target? What do you calculate the rpm is out of the Swift at that velocity? My .22-250 is 1 in 14 twist and I have had some light varmint bullets disappear into thin air so to speak when I pushed them hard. Either that or I was w-a-a-a-y off target in my aiming. I have a box of 50 grainers that I can't decide whether to load in the .223 or the .22-250

10. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

The Hornady 7th edition promotes the 40gr V-Max to 4,600 FPS in the 223 WSSM without any problems and they normally tell you if a bullet is not gonna make it to the target...

11. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

MO
    I've used the 35gr V-Max in my 5.7mmJ.
    Sierra 45gr Hornet soft point in my Hornet and the Johnson.
    Like'em both.

12. That's the bullet my 6mm Rem likes the best but I keep mine turned down to 2800 fps. Dunno why but that's where I get the best accuracy out of my Rem 788. Does good on Yotes but has torn a couple up. Great on Pdogs as well.

13. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

besides the A-MAX the V-MAX is the most accurate bullet in the Hornady line-up, hell I am a large fan of the 123 gr V-MAX for the 7.62x39 traveling at 2400 FPS

14. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

MV x (12/twist rate in inches) x 60 = Bullet RPM
    Quick Version: MV X 720/Twist Rate = RPM ,,,This will work for any of your bullets/twist rate. ,,,sam.

15. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

"In that case a 87 gr V-max going 3100 FPS is in order for your 243! " quote 338Rum

Just wondering, why use this heavy a bullet? wouldn't all that weight make for over penetration and a larger exit wound, causeing pelt damage? Or do you not think that the .243 will shoot a light bullet such as a 55-65 grain as well? Just Wondering?

16. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Evangelist

I have had great luck with the hornady V max and Sierra Blitz Kings. I have tried the Ballistic tips in my Grendel as well as my 280 and had satisfactory results. The Barnes Varmint Grenades in my .204 were less than impressive. I have heard that people have had good results with the dog town varmint bullets from midway but I have never tried them.

17. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Evangelist

I have never had good luck with the lighter for caliber bullets, if you want a small exit hole go with a 100 gr spire point pin hole entrance and exit. The BC on a 87 gr pill is .400 if you are concerned with exits make the bullet go 2800 or so. It just seems to shoot well in all of the 243's I have loaded for

18. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

My experience,the 55/58gr bullets are very accurate in .243.The problem being the 3700 to 3900fps mv makes them real frangible.On animals as small as a coyote this usually means they virtually blow the yote into.A larger hunting bullet from 80 to 100gr doesn't expand on small,thinskinned animals like yotes and consequently act more like FMJ,s,shedding very little energy,doing very little pelt damage.The problem is you need excelent bullet placement in a vital organ.That really isn't that difficult with a .243 chambering.To me,a very accurate cartridge. ,,,sam.

19. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

Thanks for the clarifications Sam and 338Rum.

20. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

What is the twist on your .220 Swift? I told you mine, you tell me yours! :)