close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Venison

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by taras, Mar 21, 2002.

1. Well it seems all the talk is on hot sauce. All well and fine but I find myself treating a lot of elderly folk with any deer/elk etc. Most of them can't have anything too spicy. I am now free, single, and seeking, but before was with a lady with 2 kids who also were'nt into hot stuff.
    I found that tomatoes will remove any gamey taste, yet really carry the fire of any chilis etc, if you want to add it later. Personally I like the wild taste, but deer cooked in stewed tomatoes or tom. juice will lose that flavor. When the kids asked if it was deer or store bought I said it was whatever they wanted it to be. For some really great recipes check North American Hunting Club's magazine and their cook book. Their newsletter is wwwnewsletter@huntingclub.com but I'm not sure of the other address.

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I love Venison. The first time I had it was about 5 years ago. It was in tomato based stew!
    It was tender, if I am not misteaken Venison is also better for you than hamburger (most things are)

3. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    yup venison is better for you than beef. the best is venison jerky. other than that i say just throw it in the crock pot with what ever else is laying around.

4. JohnD

JohnD Member

to get the wild taste out we soak all the meat in water and leamon juice over night about 15 hours in a cool place just above freezing.

5. lefty o

lefty o G&G Evangelist

mn
    youll notice i aint much of a cook, but i also like my venison made up with hamburger helper-instead of the hamburger

6. Makes great burgers too,but you got to add some beef fat to keep them together on the grill,tried it without the first time,total disaster.:eek:

7. No siree, duck223. To make great burgers, use the fat from a smoked picnic ham. then ya really got the flavour going. personal preferance, i guess!!