Gun and Game Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I am brand new to this and have rarely viewed forums in general. I have a Marlin.22 Model 25 I got in the mid/late 1980's. It is pretty decent. I put a Bushnell 4x32 scope on it last year and had the trigger worked on from being so hard to squeeze. I am fairly pleased with it.

I am not a knowledgeable gun person (I lean toward bow hunting), but I do like to squirrel hunt. I am SURE some have good thoughts on an effective/ accurate/ under $200 .22, and I'd like to hear them.

I would most likely use this gun for squirrel hunting a few months in the fall, and for target plinking with some teenage guys in the Spring to get them comfortable (and knowledgeable) with guns and gun safety.

I thank you in advance for the advice.

·
Resident Sasquatch
9,496 Posts
Hi and welcome to G&G! I'm sure you're going to get all sorts of replies but for my money, I would look in pawn shops and online for one of the Mossberg military training rifles (I believe the model nmbr is 44US). These are usually very accurate and have excellent sights. Another option is one of the Romanian military trainers. These can often be found for under $100. As far as new guns go, many of the marlin and savage bolt actions are pretty good shooters for under $200. Take a look a Gallery of Guns.com - Gun Gallery, Ruger Firearms, Shooter Online Services, Firearm Industry News, Firearm Dealer, Gun News or Impact Guns Home for representative pricing and comparison.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Under $200 is not a lot of money! I like Marlin Model 60's. They sell new in my area for $150 at Dick's Sporting Goods. (a chain store) I do not know if that would be any more accurate than your Model 25. I had a nice Marlin Model 25 that also had a stiff trigger. I sold it to a friend for his son...cheap.

I do not like the Ruger 10/22's. I do not find them nearly as accurate as the Marlin 60, though many other members like them.

·
Premium Member
30,729 Posts
i like heavily modified 10-22's but they cost a mint.
stock they as a rule will be beaten by just about any midrange bolt action.

those military trainers look like just what you are looking for.

·
Registered
978 Posts
As far as pawn shops go...in my area they buy guns and knives from questionable people that cannot afford a car to go to a gun shop, then they sell them for WAY more than they should go for...again to people within walking distance of the pawn shop, generally in center city.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
for under $200 you are not going to do any better than what you have. with your budget, i would put a better scope on your current rifle. either that, or save up some more money.

·
Registered
127 Posts
What's wrong with the 25? Mine shoots quarter sized groups at fifty, and I'm fairly sure that'll be cut about in half once my rifle basix trigger shows up this week. (As it is I can almost pick it up by the trigger without it going off.) Maybe you just need a stronger scope with paralax adjustment. I'm happy with my bsa sweet 22(mine's the 2-7x32), which many seem to say are junk though.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WOW. Thanks for your responses. After reading some posts, I feel a lot more comfortable with my Marlin model 25. Toolman, I will do more research in the areas you directed. Thanks again everyone for your valuable input!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
O.k. everyone. Let me know what you think about the Ruger10/22. I have a buddy who loves his and says it is ral fun in the woods. What do you all think?

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I don't like how short they are. It's like they're made for kids.

I am 6'5" though. :)

·
Registered
20,562 Posts
The Marlin boltactions are nice shooting rifles and there prices for these are below 200 bucks.
A Marlin semiauto is on my long list of guns to buy next year.

·
I can justify anything.
4,879 Posts
WOW. Thanks for your responses. After reading some posts, I feel a lot more comfortable with my Marlin model 25. Toolman, I will do more research in the areas you directed. Thanks again everyone for your valuable input!
I'm a .22 addict (bought 3 last week) and I've found the following is pretty true..

1. If you have a scope on it, make sure the scope's consistant..
2. Ammo's cheap.. Buy lots and shoot lots.. It's fun and you'll find that with practice you'll get better and better.
3. Ammo's still cheap.. Go shoot some more..:09:
4. Some .22's don't like certain ammo. Try a few boxes of different stuff and see what you gun likes to shoot.
5. Go shoot some more..

It's pretty hard to find a bad shooting .22.. Usually, the worst thing on them is a crappy trigger, which makes shooting well that much harder.

So, go buy a few bricks of what your gun likes and spend some time shooting.:werd:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
As previously mentioned - Marlin Model 60 will be the most accurate out of the box for less than $200. A Ruger 10/22 would be a good choice as well. Some of the Marlin and Savage bolt actions should be decent as well, but I would suggest the Marlin 60 as it is semi-auto (i.e. much more fun) and will be just as accurate.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would suggest the Marlin 60 as it is semi-auto (i.e. much more fun) and will be just as accurate.
Idunno. I have a marlin 25 bolt and a 60 semi, and dealing with the much more complicated cleaning of the 60 to keep it from jamming once or twice with every mag of cheap ammo, that really cuts into the fun of it. Plus the bolt one seems more accurate anyway besides just being more reliable.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
If your model 60 is jamming that much, something ain't right. My uncle had one - as far as I know it was never cleaned - well except for a little WD-40 he squirted in every now and then. I got the rifle when he passed on - It shoot fine even though I would swear it was a pound lighter after I cleaned it. My uncle used it for a walking stick about as much as a rifle. I know WD-40 and using it for a walking stick - both REALLY bad ideas. But he was 89 when he died. I wasn't about to tell him what to do. Point is that the Model 60's I have been around are very dependable. I bought my son one when he was in his mid-teens. He couldn't tear it up or make it jam either. If an old school red-neck and a destructive teenager can't tear them up, that is a pretty good testimonial.

·
Registered
16 Posts
i think if you go with a remington 597 you will not regret it only buy it for a trusted store not pawn shop or small gun store something like a chain store that moves alot of guns. thats my 13 cents

·
Premium Member
30,729 Posts
I don't like how short they are. It's like they're made for kids.

I am 6'5" though. :)
everything prolly feels like a toy to you .
you are :09: a giant!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts