close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Very Bad Day

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Eric, Jul 28, 2002.

1. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    I just found out that my commo guy on my old team, Rigoberto Nieves. Who was my very best friend, Just got home from the Ghan and fatally shot his wife and himself. He was always the first guy in and the last one to leave. His wife, Teresa would come pick him up. Us three spent many a night in the team room drinking beer. Me and him were on a two man lazing team out of Bosnia-Herzogovina when we were bombing Serbia. He was the guy that went with me after every deployment to the carribean, central or south America to Panama to Brief the CinC. Me and him shared ALOT of misery together. One time in Bosnia, We had a rocket attack. They fired 8 M-80 rockets thru our house. (They are the soviet version of the LAW) Rigo was in the Ops room and a rocket came in thru the corner and went right behind him and hit our commo equipment stored in the corner. The Lithium batteries exploded and filled the room with toxic smoke. Rigo stayed in there calling for the reaction force and suffered permanent lung damage. On all our Counter Narcotics missions down south, besides making our commo shot everyday, he helped teach the SUT classes because he was an infantry guru (He was decorated in the Gulf war for stopping an Iraqi attack-he got the Bronze star with "V" device). I know I'm rambling, but God I loved this guy. I just feel like you guys are like my best friends...and this is really tearing me up, Bad. Hell, I can barely type right now. I just had to tell somebody, sorry.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2002
  2. Doglips

Doglips G&G Newbie

Hay Eric I understand what you are going throught..after Lebonon (1983) my assistant sniper Adam recovered from his injuries and things were getting back to normal...we were kicking back haveing some beers when he lost it and started shooting a 22 pistol at the empties because he was p-off...no real harm till the police arrived...short standoff and in the end he got booked for discargeing a firearm in the city limits...I know a lot of us that have come back from doing strange things in strange places and can never explain it to others nor simply flip a swithc and go back to the way it was....My experience is that it just takes time....counseling helps but time seeems to be the key for me...others adjust faster/slower.

3. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Thanks Doglips, I'm glad you understand. Most people have no clue. Blue Skies Brother!

4. Oxford

Oxford G&G Evangelist

Eric:

There's no words that I could say that would soften the loss of your friend and his wife. Just wanted you to know that I feel badly for you though.

I'm wondering if the motive of this action was war stress related, maritial, or what? It really doesn't make matters any better knowing, though. The loss of a good friend like you had is not replaceable.

Oxford :(

5. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    Thanks Oxford, I am so glad I have you guys. I'm really not doing too well as of yet.

6. Lenny2

Lenny2 Guest

Eric,

I'm very sorry for your loss. My words seem kind of meaningless, but hang in there. I know a lot of people here are feeling for you.

7. Eric -- my condolences for the loss of your freind. God Bless you.

8. jerry

jerry Since 2002 Forum Contributor

USA
    Eric,
    I feel your pain. I know a lot of WWII, Nam Vets etc. that had their fair share of hell. Most people don't understand the pace that our forces have been subjected to. (since Panama) Now days you can have a 20 year career and expect to be in some sort of harms way 1/2 to 3/4 of the time in at least 3-6 different campaigns. I had to make a decision in late '94. My career (10 yrs deep) or my family. I was lucky, I got out, got a decent job and still get to serve in a guard unit that is active in real world missions.
    I pray for the families of both your friend and his wife. I hope he gets the help he needs.

9. Eric,

there a very few hurdles in life as losing a loved one...whether it be family or friend.

My thoughts and prayers are with you....as well are the people in this forum.

Why people, who always seems so together, suddenly act as Rigo did is often left a mystery.

Remember him, and his wife, as good people who you loved. Remember the courage he displayed. Remember his loyalty to you, his fellow soldiers and Americans. Remember the good times for they will keep you warm on a chilly evening. Remember him for the good person he obviously was.

I, too, have lost good friends...two in the line of duty and one through suicide. Sometimes there is no understanding why things are they way they are. Perhaps that's one of life's lessons we live but never fully comprehend.

As was said, hang in there. Sounds like Rigo was a stand up dude.....still is! He still lives in your memories.

Keep the chin up and make his as proud of you as you are of him.

10. Mr (T)

Mr (T) G&G Newbie

Please accept my condolences on Rigoberto and his wife's passing...

The loss of a comrade and friend is always heart-rending, but I hope that you will sail through this sad time quickly, and always remember that all of us would be very proud to have you as a friend.

11. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Sorry Eric, this is terrible news and my thoughts are with all involved.

12. FireStar

FireStar G&G Newbie

Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Being a Nam war vet myself (64 - 67 with 2 1/2 years being overseas) I know where you're coming from.

I know this most likely doesn't help, but.... "Time Heals All."

Just remember... we're here for ya buddy.

13. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I can not begin to understand what you went through with your friend nor the loss that you are feeling right now, but only offer my prayers and thoughts and hope that they will get you through the days.

14. GARY D

GARY D G&G Newbie

I don't know you Eric but I sympathize with you and you have my condolences. I'm an old fart and have lived through enough of that stuff. Hang in there son you'll do just fine.

15. Eric

Eric G&G Newbie

USA
    bottom line, you guys are great. Thanks!

16. 7mmag6

7mmag6 G&G Newbie

eric sorry bro, im also a nam grunt, i cant tell you how many friends ive lost over the years from suicide, drugs, and just falling through the gaps in society, combat does strange things to a persons mind, some can take it, others cant, i used to be the poster boy for post traumatic stress, over the years I have gotten over it, my dad was at okinawa, and we did not dare wake him, i remember when I as a kid, my mother would lock the bedroom door and told us to never wake dad, as he got older those symptoms were gone, my daughter is in afghanistan now and I pray to god she never has to see the ordeal her father and grand father went through, peace bro i know its hard